1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

covering for absent colleagues for 20 minutes?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by teachingforages, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I would like to know if other schools expect staff who are only above minimum by 20 or 25 minutes to cover for absent colleagues.

2. I would like to know if other schools expect staff who are only above minimum by 20 or 25 minutes to cover for absent colleagues.

3. If 20 minutes cover is all that's needed. in secondary you might get a few registration classes to cover.

4. No...it's half a period. The school uses 2 teachers to cover for a single period. This is when the two teachers are already down to minimum (counting whole periods), but there is still 20 minutes, or 25 minutes over because the school is not on a 33 period week.

5. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

The school I'm working at does this (usually on a Friday). If you are on minimum periods but not minimum time they will give you bits of lessons to cover.

6. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

The bottom line is that teachers are contracted to work a maximum of 22.5 hours so if you haven't reached this in a working week then your school is fully entitled to ask you to provide cover in the same way teachers are fully entitled to say no when they reach the 22.5 hour threshold. The real question is; does it provide an effective educational experience for pupils?

7. If there's two of you it kinda makes sense. Why pay supply when they're already paying you?

8. I just would like to know if this was done in other schools.

9. In some schools all please takes are half periods.

10. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Madness. But inevitable given the "contract" (SNCT agreements) we currently have and the financial pressures on HTs. This is the kind of thing I suspect McCormac meant by "teacher inflexibility" so watch out for proposals to aggregate preparation time over a longer period when the SNCT negotiations start in the New Year.
    What that will meran of course is that we may end up with no prep time at all between October and April say and the rest stuffed into August - Spetemeber and May - June. We'll see.