1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering for a colleague on long term sick

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by staffsunigirl, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I don't know quite where I stand on all of this so advice welcomed! I am an NQT who was on a timetable of 37/40 (so 3 lessons under full timetable) and I was told that those 3 lessons (plus a couple of swapped lessons) would be used to cover for a colleague who had been signed off sick for a month. This turned into 2 months, then 3 and finally into 4 months! The person off sick has just started back on a phased return and I assume that they will be taking this class back.

I'm just wondering if this is allowed under 'rarely cover' or whether it would be classed a part of directed time?

Advice/Opinions welcome!

2. If I understand you correctly you are under a full time contract with the school and are being expected to teach for 100% of your time. So forget about rarely cover provisions: all teachers are entitled to 10% PPA time which cannot be used for other purposes and that includes cover, especially long term cover. In addition to that as an NQT you are entitled to extra non-contact time. All that is a legal entitelement.

3. Nice post thanks for sharing.[​IMG]