1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering another class for one hour a week

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bnek, Mar 22, 2018.

1. bnek

bnek New commenter

As a TA i am now expected to cover a Year 3 class once a week.

I know a handful of the pupils.

Any recommendations of how to ensure pupils behave? I'm presuming speak to the class teacher about strategies and spell-out my expectations at the start of my first lesson etc?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, definitely set out your expectations at the start of the lesson. Try these:

1. Follow instructions fast
    2. Stay on task
    3. Work without disturbing others

Those are easy and they will understand them since they are short and to the point. Stand at the front of the room and speak to them in a firm but friendly voice.

Write the rules on the board or get the class to design a poster.

Follow the school's behaviour policy and any other routines/practices the class teacher has set in place.

Most importantly, use the system of praise/rewards.

Have a seating plan and as you say, speak to the class teacher about any "trip wires" that she/he knows regarding the pupils and then use their suggested strategies.

Don 't be waived by " Well, Mr Y lets us do it".

Enjoy!

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

The most important thing to remember is that students learn from what you do, not what you say. You can make up as many rules as you like, if you don't enforce them, they don't exist.

So be consistent. Be prepared to put behaviour ahead of learning if need be.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  4. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

When covering, it is really helpful if the regular class teacher can support you.
    - Will they plan the work for you? If so, ask for it ahead of time so you are well prepared.
    - Get a seating plan and be vigilant about any changes students try to make.
    - Be confident. If you're doing this regularly, they need to see you as the teacher.
    - Ask the teacher to check the work to begin with. Any students who take the opportunity to avoid effort, should be made to re-do the work at lunch time. You usually only need to do this once and they see you're working in connection with the usual teacher.

Try to be pretty firm to begin with. Establish your rules (it's helpful if they match with the usual school rules if behaviour is generally ok, so you're part of the team rather than something different) and be consistent. Call for help whenever you need - it's not a reflection on your ability to manage them if you need support. We all do.

After that, you might find you can find your own style and build quite nice relationships over one lesson per week.

Good luck,
    Sarah

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I hope your school isn't confusing the 2 words: covering and teaching.

Covering is precisely that, standing in for the proper teacher. But if you're there for the proper teacher's PPA then the poor soul is being robbed and you'll end up feeling guilty over the SLT decision that put you there. Also teachers are responsible for class progress, does this mean you?

Not sure what you can do about my doomsday scenario. Can you unvolunteer? Or at least set out reservations in advance. Union advice is essential here.

NotAPowerRanger likes this.