1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by defenceagainstthedarkarts, Oct 31, 2019.

1. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I've done three cover lessons since term began now

While I understand that emergencies do sometimes happen, this is getting a bit ridiculous now. I don't exactly have an abundance of frees - 4 hours a week.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I grumble about this?

install likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Depends on whether you all have to do it.

I've done ONE cover since September

3. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

https://neu.org.uk/advice/cover
    First step might be to ask your union rep to raise it with management and remind them that the agreement is that it should be 'rarely' and only for 'unforseeable circumstances'.

There is probably also a school policy you can check to see it is being followed.

4. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Do you have a full timetable or are you a lesson or two less than a full amount? In our place cover supervisors are asked to cover first, then those that have a light timetable, then SLT, then any other staff. Find out what the school policy is and have a chat with a union rep or call your union advice line.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Are you under STPCD? If so, then the rules for cover are quite clear, and it may be that you are getting too much. If not, then it is not as easy, as schools can pretty much make up their own rules. Four hours a week free does suggest that you are getting more than the 10% PPA entitlement, so I doubt if you could use that as a reason for not doing it.

JohnJCazorla and Pomza like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Check your own union's guidance on the matter.

Nothing stopping you having a whinge.

Lara mfl 05 and Piranha like this.
  7. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Really pleased to hear you posting your wisdom again Grumpy.:)

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If you're on your own and don't have union support then you better start nicely-nicely.

Boo hoo. Seems like a lot of cover for poor little me and my 4 precious non-contacts.

And when you say "free"? Do I take it that's surplus to PPA or that IS your
    PPA?

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You could ask if there is a particular reason. Sometimes the way the timetable lies means that there are only a couple of people available in certain lessons - because none of the part-timers happen to be in, too many of SLT are in meetings, or every year group is doing a subject/option block with more than the usual number of teaching groups. (Sods' law sometimes says that that lesson coincides with the one when an SLT member is timetabled to teach, but often has meetings with outside agencies that "can't be moved".)

If they realise that you're the only person available that lesson, they might be able to move a meeting or something so that somebody else can take turns with you.

10. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

So, SLT in your school do cover, yes I have heard myths and legends about this happening but never met anyone who had actually seen this 8th wonder of the world.

Good to hear that they are willing to do their share, treasure them.

11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Plenty do.

12. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

You secondary teachers would never survive in primary where "frees" don't exist.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I thought primary teachers had PPA too.

14. defenceagainstthedarkarts

PPA, then. *** has happened to this forum? I've been here for years, I've uploaded resources to help my colleagues and never charged for them, I've given time, support, kindness and advice, and then I have one question and I get snarky smart-**** comments: why?

I have four hours a week purportedly to lead a core subject (English) and to do ALL my planning, marking and pastoral duties. It's quite difficult. I do know it is worse in primary, but then to be honest that's one reason I don't do primary.

15. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I’m a secondary teacher. I don’t get ‘frees’. I get 10% PPA a week and no more (we even have a two-week arrangement to make sure we only get 10%). I get no time for my TLR. One of my PPA periods is taken up by a regular meeting for most of the year, so I actually don’t get the full 10% – but I get on with it because that’s how state education works. I’ve been in school, working with students, twice this half term (unpaid). Tomorrow, I’m marking A Level essays that take 20 minutes each.

My situation is not unusual.

It’s not a competition.

16. defenceagainstthedarkarts

Yes, one of my "frees" (oops, sorry, PPA) is a meeting, too.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

And primary teachers with this superiority attitude wouldn't last a second in secondary

littledragon25 and jlishman2158 like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Primary teachers work even harder than secondary teachers I find. You should not perhaps not be so condescending and ignorant.

19. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

We all work hard. It's not a competition. Ignorant?????

20. defenceagainstthedarkarts

I wasn’t being superior at all. I know how hard primary teachers work, but that’s not really the point, is it? Endless ‘well I have it worse than you because’ posts just mean that we are bickering and squabbling amongst one another rather than all taking a stand against unreasonable demands.

The fact I am being used for cover repeatedly does not mean I am somehow inferring primary teachers do not work extremely hard.