1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sneezal, Dec 1, 2018.

1. sneezal

sneezal New commenter

Hi, I would like to visit my new school this half term (starting there in Jan). I have been told that the (new) school needs to pay for my cover so I am able to go, is this usual? Unfortunately, the school can only pay for half a day cover.

Thanks in advance.

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Yes, absolutely normal. You are actually quite lucky if you get any time at all. Your current school is paying for your labour there, not at your new place, and is quite within their rights to refuse you time to go.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Of course it's usual. You will be working in your new school, so they need to pay for your labour. The easiest way to do this is to pay the person covering for you.

Half a day seems perfectly reasonable.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sneezal

sneezal New commenter

Many thanks to you both.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Yes, this is normal. When I have had teacher’s leave in the past, I have cross charged cover costs to respective school when they attend their new school, equally, when we’ve recruited new staff members, we’ve had cover charged to us.

sneezal likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Half a day" in school terms is always a funny one.
    In practise it often means up until lunchtime, and after that there is usually a much smaller portion of contact time which most definitely does not add up to half of the actual working day.
    If you pick the first half of the day you would probably get the chance to visit almost a day's worth of classes anyway, if that is your main reason for going.
    Apart from that, are you sure the new school are expecting you to ruck up in January and start from the first day in there? Quite often if a teacher is starting at a non standard juncture in the school year, the school itself will allow a half day or day which they cover with their normal cover staff to sort yourself out eg with IT systems, finding basic resources, seating plans, class lists etc. This is only fair of them to do it, because with a September start, all schools that I know of precede student arrival with at least a day in house for staff, sometimes two or even three.

sneezal and agathamorse like this.
  7. sneezal

sneezal New commenter

Thank you for your replies.