1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by missjohnsondreams, Dec 16, 2015.

1. missjohnsondreams

missjohnsondreams New commenter

Hi all,

I am an English trainee teacher just finishing my first term. On Friday, I have been asked to do a cover science lesson on my PPA. As a school, when there are multiple staff absences then we use 'rarely cover' which means staff can be used in their PPA's. I used to be a cover supervisor and believe this is the reason they have asked me to do so. Can they do this as I am a trainee?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I think you'd have to check with your uni mentor to see if it's ok for the placement to ask you to do that. If you feel confident then do it, and you can use the experience to tick off a teaching standard, or just to add some experience in a different environment /subject. If you don't feel confident about it then speak to your placement mentor.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It depends whether you are employed on school direct or a trainee on a PGCE.
    If employed- it will be argued that this is a reasonable expectation for a teacher!
    If on a PGCE then it is inappropriate.

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I regularly had to do cover lessons on PGCE. My fellow students loved doing cover and I couldn't understand why. It transpired that they were paid for cover lessons, as a supply teacher would be. I wasn't paid at all, just used as a rubbing rag. It was only towards the end of my placement that my Uni mentor found out and said that this was inappropriate.
    However, it did clock up my teaching hours.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

It sounds like all the teachers at the school are being had.
    'Rarely cover' doesn't mean can be used occasionally but should only be used for unexpected events (and someone ringing in sick that morning before 8am certainly isn't unexpected).
    So if regular staff are being misused it's unlikely you'll be able to escape it.