1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover work NIGHTMARE!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by alexine, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi All

I am currently having a nightmare setting any coverwork for ks3 music students. We have cover supervisers who are "uncomfortable" teaching anything too musical i.e. instrumental due to this i have been photocopying like a demon! and thus been boomed with a HUGE reprographics bill which has swallowed my budget for this year! [​IMG] Does anyone know of any simple workbooks with questions and activities etc that I could buy and use as cover. ANY suggestions welcome, can't afford this photocopying!
    Thanks in advance
    Alexine [​IMG]

2. Hi All

I am currently having a nightmare setting any coverwork for ks3 music students. We have cover supervisers who are "uncomfortable" teaching anything too musical i.e. instrumental due to this i have been photocopying like a demon! and thus been boomed with a HUGE reprographics bill which has swallowed my budget for this year! [​IMG] Does anyone know of any simple workbooks with questions and activities etc that I could buy and use as cover. ANY suggestions welcome, can't afford this photocopying!
    Thanks in advance
    Alexine [​IMG]

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

What about Musical Suduko? You can download free stuff or the books are quite inexpensive. Most cover stuff will involve photocopying and cover teachers are understandably nervous of our subject. What about educational DVDs or videos?

4. I always ask the pupils not to write on the worksheets and then leave instructions for the cover supervisors to collect them in and put them back in the folder. I always end up having to photocopy a couple to make up a set but it's better than doing a set for each class.
    Can you book them into IT rooms and get them to research something on the internet (I'm lucky with computers and internet access in my room and I always ask the pupils to e-mail me their work, tends to keep them on their toes more and the work actually gets completed.)
    Have you got any old sets of Roy Bennett etc. lying around? I don't get the pupils to answer the questions, but the information is useful for making spider diagrams/leaflets/posters about a particular topic.

5. The DVD route might be a winner, I use some of the Howard Goodall series' for the odd cover class, even though they can sometimes love him or hate him the eccentric delivery can keep them engaged and the examples are simplistic.

6. bill bailey's guide to the orchestra dvd - love it!

7. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

To follow up on the suggestion to use the Internet, try booking the computers with headphones and use Tanbur Music Education Links for a few lessons. There are a few tasks suggested in the accompanying blog - try 'footprints' for starters.
    http://tanbur.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/fun-ideas-for-music-homework/
    They could also email their responses to you, as suggested by qu1annie.
    Any music teacher with more ideas about how the Tanbur Music Links can be used - please feel free to add your ideas on the blog. There are loads of possibilities for class research tasks and I would welcome some contributions. That way the site could start to be developed by a team of interested music teachers. What do you think?
    David, Tanbur Admin.

8. Thanks everyone, defo food for thought currently trying to persuade IT boys to put a computer into the music room.

[​IMG]

9. how about musictheory.net???