1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover supervisor

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Iggy_B, May 4, 2017.

1. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, so please move it. First some back ground about I've been an FE teacher since 2004 and recently quit my job as I want to look at primary/secondary. I've just been offered a cover supervisor role in a secondary school as I don't have QTS or QTLS and the school has also said they are willing to discuss an NQT role due to an upcoming maternity cover opportunity coming up. The impression I get is that they will use this half term as a chance to gauge my performance before the maternity cover is needed later in the year. Is this a good opportunity? Can anyone share their experiences of being a cover supervisor?

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

The cover supervisors at my school love their jobs. Ok pay, no marking or planning or data shrubbish or report writing or parents'evenings. No responsibility for results. ALL of them are ex teachers. Considering it myself actually.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It sounds like one. What have you got to lose?

4. Ryan91

Ryan91 New commenter

You have to remember the children have a highly sensitive feel for knowing the difference between a teacher and CS. I'm currently a CS and everything behaviour wise is tried on... My role is also inclusion based (isolation room) and 37.5hrs with extra curricular clubs. So it can be tiring with so much contact time with the children. I'm using it for a confirmed place on PGCE next year so it'll be interesting to come at it from the other way.

My advice is to make sure it's mostly cover. I've been dragged into pretty much anything that they can't get others to do.

5. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I did this for a year prior teaching.

Behaviour management, relationship building and being flexible are key skills you need. It helps if you have a few ideas up our sleeve too for when the cover work is shockingly bad (think 1 worksheet for top sets). Your knowledge of the various subjects will develop quite quickly and you'll be able to adapt and deliver good cover lessons. Key word though - delivery, not teaching.

Some students will take advantage of you if you're seen to be 'cover', others will respect you because they've seen you around and regard you a teacher.

No additional responsibilities, as stated above.