1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover supervisor to teacher

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nicolaseed91, Mar 14, 2016.

1. nicolaseed91

nicolaseed91 New commenter

I am currently a cover supervisor and in charge of the Duke of Edinburgh award at an oustanding school. However no matter how hard I try to get a job nothing seems to work.
    I'm starting to worry that the longer I am at my current job the less chance I will have at starting my nqt year.
    Is there a specific period of time that would reflect badly on my application as being a cover supervisor? As an employer would 2,4,5 years as a cover supervisor reflect negatively on me as an applicant?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First of all, don't worry about running out of time on your QTS. As long as you have not been teaching supply, you will be OK

I got QTS ages ago, but have never done my induction year. Can I still apply for jobs as a NQT?

And the period as a Cover Supervisor can be shown to be professional development if you actually treat it as such. So no worries about the time spent.

Start a Learning Diary. Write down it is things that you have learned as a CS that help you to be a better teacher. There must be masses of things! All the things that are wrong with any lesson plans you have been handed, for starters. Plus maintaining a positive learning climate in the classroom, etc.etc.

Begin by writing things you've already learned, then every day have a moment of quiet reflection and jot down anything new that occurs to you. You can then mention this habit of maintaining a Learning Diary and reflecting on your role and teaching in any application and interview.

Second thing is to improve your applications.

Have you found the applications advice articles? There are loads of them! Tag me @TheoGriff if not, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Best wishes