1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover Supervisor... ? Salary? expectations?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by stopwatch, Oct 17, 2015.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I have recently returned to UK after 14 years overseas. I have applied for, and been invited for interview, for a post of 'Cover Supervisor' at a local Girls High School. It is rated as 'Good' and in previous years as 'Outstanding'. The salary is around £18,000 pa.

I went to visit the school and met with the Cover Co-ordinator who explained that expectations are merely to deliver lesson instructions and oversee/supervise lessons, with a write up/report after for the absent teacher.

Can anybody tell me if this is typical of many schools rather than employing supply teachers from agencies and whether the expectations as described above are typical and/or accurate. Does anybody have any experience of and feedback on a similar position.

Although the salary is pretty poor (compared to a teachers salary and the salary I was receiving overseas), the idea of having a simple job quite appeals, once the initial weeks of being tested out by pupils is over.

Thanks,

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The jobndescrition they gave you is typical and yes schools use cover supervisors and supply teachers to fill in the gaps for day to day absences and for long term cover. Most schools will have at least two if not more cover supervisors whose job it is to oversee lessons and try to ensure students stay on task. The salary seems reasonable.

You don't say if you are a teacher. I have never worked in an all girls school so don't know what to expect in terms of behaviour but if it has been rated good then you should not have too many problems.

Schools have probably changed a lot in 14 years and this job might be a way to give you an insight into education in England now to see if it for you. Working in a challenging school as a cover supervisor would be much much harder.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi, Stopwatch. Just make sure that you are clear about the salary. Many schools do not pay support staff outside term time. They sometimes quote a salary that would be what you would get working 37.5 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. Once pro-rated your final pay may be not much more than half that.

I don't mean to put you off. It might be they have already taken your hours into account. I would just make sure before you sign up.

Good luck.

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

If you are a teacher, you might find yourself doing a teaching job for CS money. As Dierds said, make sure the pay figure you have been offered is not pro-rata. £18K for a CS sounds a bit high.

5. Babana

Babana New commenter

It will almost certainly be pro rata for a Cover Supervisor.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

From your post I'm guessing that you are a qualified teacher in which case be a little wary of taking on a cover supervisor role, As Jolly Roger has stated its very likely your resonsibilities will gradually increase to take on a more active teaching role. Before you realise you will be preparing lessons and doing the odd bit of marking. If the school is going to pay extra for this then thats fine but they might try and get a teacher on cheap rates,

You might want to consider joining some agencies for supply teacher work.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Thanks for all of your replies, which are really helpful. Yes I am a qualified teacher (35 Years, PE main subject and GNVQ/Vocational and over 30 years in leadership roles - Head of Key Stage, Head of Department).

I am looking for a simple job - ie no prep or marking and supervisory rather than in depth teaching. I am doing this as I am also developing a new business (Holistic Wellness) which is why I need/want something where I turn up at 8.30, get told what I am doing and leave at 4.00.

The job description says something like 'Grade 3 point 20 - 22 (£19,013 - £20,216 pro rata: £16,623 - £17,675 actual salary)' If it is less than £16,000 I won't bother with it.

I agree with you all and already anticipate they may push the boundaries and ask me to do more than Supervise. If they do, that is fine but I will only do it if paid more.

8. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Agree with previous posters. Do not sell yourself short! In all the schools I have worked in, they have mooted the possibility of directly employing me as a 'Cover Supervisor'
    No, No, No!
    I am qualified teacher, and am fully employed doing day-to-day supply. If I want, I take a day off - the upside of having no job security or sick pay.
    For agency, I get £130 a day, and for direct school ( 2 so far) get £150 per day - all PAYE.
    I see absolutely NO advantage in being a cover supervisor, tied into one school, and obliged to work every term day, for a lesser pay rate.

9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I hope it goes well. I'm delighted that a school is giving you a reasonable salary for Cover Supervisor work.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

PizzoCalabro, I see what you are saying regards better daily rate on Supply, plus the ability to choose time off (which would be very appealing!).

However, for me, I don't want the hassle of going into schools where children don't know me and I am more likely to encounter day to day hassle (therefore spending my days off recovering!). I have already done some work for an agency and it wasn't a great experience (school in special measures). One reason I left the UK was because of the constant battle with bad behaviour in the school I was working in. Having now experienced the other side over the last 14 years (good behaviour and positive attitudes) I would rather have less money, but no headache.

However, the upside for me/the other reasons I would prefer a CS job:
    1. This is a Good/Outstanding school (which is also a 2 minute drive from home!)
    2. I am only 18 months away from drawing my teachers pension, and will then likely resign or continue until I have had enough - or go part time if that is an option.
    3. I don't want to have to do any preparation or marking
    4. There are possibilities for other, promoted admin positions in the same school, so I get a foot in the door.
    5. I get holiday pay (and school holidays which aren't too bad!)
    I also guess that, if I end up not liking it, I can resign and then register with a supply agency.

Anyway, the interview is on Thursday - I'll let you know how it goes!

midnight_angel likes this.