1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover Supervisor- Resigned

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by suertesamp, Jun 2, 2018.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have now resigned after 7 months of pure hell as a secondary cover supervisor in a secondary school. My previous post is here: https://community.tes.com/threads/cover-supervisor-more-problems-breaking-point-near.774159/
    A month ago I had to take a week off because the stress got too much. I went back, and had more problems with behaviour. I really did try to improve things.
    I got observed by an slt member which I asked for and the lesson wasn't great. Despite nothing alarming going on in the lesson, I was told that I didn't look comfortable (I never really was).
    Vice principal summons me to her office. Says my 6 month probation period is over and I failed. Too many concerns over my behaviour management, attendance and the fact I don't seem to enjoy the job. They also highlighted how many times I called on call. Was given the option to resign or extend the probation by a month, but significantly improve. I would also have been getting observed almost all the time. As such I decided to resign. No point doing a job which gives me anxiety and I have no passion for teaching anymore. A great weight is lifted off my shoulders but I am hugely disappointed that I couldn't step up to the challenge. Considering leaving the progression completely now.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  2. Ryan91

Ryan91 New commenter

Although I had a relatively supportive SLT (I emphasise relatively!), I had all the emotions you've listed above. In fact, I remember having an anxiety attack in Costa following work one day. It's a terrible place to be and I wouldn't wish any of those emotions on my worst enemy.

You've done the right thing in leaving, I decided to follow a teaching career following a two year stint doing CS. I can 100% say I enjoy this far greater, despite the challenges in a new role and school. We talk about a teaching recruitment crisis, but good luck holding on to a good cover supervisors for 12k-15k a year, who has to put up with the stress and adaptability under the sun.

Good luck with your decisions, the grass was greener on the other side for me. Never forget it's a job at the end of the day and try not to let it become home life too.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

upload_2018-6-3_11-23-19.png

Well, that sort of depends on the scale of the challenge, doesn't it. Some situations are just not realistically manageable.

pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The relief tells you that you did the right thing.

Remember that in a different school the experience could be completely different - don't write it off completely but good luck with whatever you do.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and MarieAnn18 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree that in a different school things could be vastly different.

There is no reason why CS should be expected to possess super human powers - students should behave end of and they should be expected to follow instructions and do their work. End of.

If I were the Head, I would have stamped down on the challenging behaviour.

There are many places,however, where the schools find it easier to blame the adults than tackle the real issues of students not behaving.

Norsemaid and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I am glad you left.

You did absolutely nothing wrong. Hold your head up high.

The situation is a damning indictment of a failed education system and on a wider issue, a failed society (where respect has failed and consumerism rules the day).

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Being a cover supervisor isn't teaching. Dont let this experience upset you.

Lasting long as you did means you should get a Victoria cross for extreme bravery in battle ! (In state comps cover lessons are like Verdun).

Kids see cover supervisors as especially easy meat as you are not a "real teacher". Cover means party time! I would look for a proper post and try teaching for real. I would doubt the competence of your SLT to use a new teacher as a cover supervisor then complain. Cover lesson behaviour reflects the whole school behaviour not the cover teachers ability.Terrible terrible experience I am sure. Even a Terminator 2000 cover supervisor would end up crying and having a nervous breakdown after 3 months.

Move on forget about it.

suertesamp likes this.