1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover Supervisor rates for qualified teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by silvita2, Apr 25, 2019.

1. silvita2

silvita2 New commenter

I started working on supply teaching last September, after reading some posts here, I believe I have been quite lucky as it has been steady. However, I only realised when I started, most supply agencies only offer cover supervisor rates for the same job of a supply teacher. I naively asked one agent why this was, as I had done the same job as I had done in all other posts, he said schools cannot afford to pay supply teacher rates anymore. I don't think this is fair, we are being offered the same rate as unqualified young teachers? Some of us have to accept this sometimes, but it is even impossible to leave with £60 a day??? Any positive comments?

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I always check the rate before I take a job and refuse to work for cover supervisor rates. That said day to day near me has almost completely disappeared, due to cover supervisors and schools using TAs and HLTAs to cover lessons.

3. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

It's a real buyers market. Did I read somewhere that the agency which sounds a bit like Peaching Bersonnel was worth £100 million!!!! How on earth did they make so much on the back of poorly teachers!

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

School cannot afford to pay supply teachers a decent rate because most are now academies and think that they need to adopt a business model. To them this means pay your staff a low a wage as possible so that senior management can "reward" themselves with a high salary.

Other businesses realise that "experience and skills" do not come cheap. Underpay your trained workforce and they will leave. Academies wonder why they have a recruitment crisis.

The solution is that teachers realise their worth. It will need a strong union and membership to demand a minimum salary for supply teachers and that no one works for less. Also the message needs to be got across cover supervisors are not teachers and should not be used as a replacement, (emergency and limited cover only). But you have more chance of finding a unicorn in your back garden before that happens.

Or my solution was to find another form of employment.

5. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

All qualified teachers must refuse to work as Cover Supervisors because you are downgrading supply teaching and making it worse for the rest of us who refuse to do so.

6. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

We are regularly told schools can't afford the rates, yet the evidence is that a lot of them can. When I registered with my agencies I said I would not accept cover supervisor rates. Doesn't stop the occasional ask, but I'm not giving in to it. I've been offered enough better paid work. It depends on your circumstances and location, but if at all possible, say no. This is not for me, as I don't want to work directly for a school again, but you could contact schools direct (but not ones you have been introduced to by an agency, that's a legal minefield). They will pay you more than an agency would if they employ you as a casual teacher but it may be monthly rather than weekly payroll.

pepper5, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

Totally agree, if you're firm they stop asking, we are qualified teachers and deserve to paid accordingly.

BetterNow, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  8. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

On the flip side soms schools have openly told me for day to day supply they will tell agencies they’ll only pay CS rates.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

For primary, what would the difference in expectation be between a teacher and a HLTA booking for day to day supply?

10. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

The rate of pay. HLTAs can be used to cover and teach clases and often do planning too.

BetterNow and JohnJCazorla like this.
  11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The difference in expectation is the same as the 'how long is a piece of string?' This is from a secondary perspective so more people to have a perspective

Agency will have sold you as someone who will deliver a brilliant set of lessons (and guess who pockets the extra fee)
    The Cover Organiser expects a warm body who will hang around all day in whichever rooms she decides.
    The Line Manager/HoD expects you to plan the day (and mark in primary?)
    SLT expect your behaviour management to be perfect (or at least good enough for them to stay in their nice office)
    Neighbouring teachers expect wonderful subject knowledge.

Most of these will be disillusioned already but the tricky bit is to get away with appeasing all these.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  12. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I took a day on HLTA pay today as with new agency and wanted to get on the good side.
    Was told it would be a bit of cover with work provided and then working with groups supporting in class.
    When I got there, I found that I would be teaching the class all day and there was no work set...all for a very measly sum.
    I won't be doing that again!

14. I live near Swansea started doing supply 20 years or so ago .Then there was no teaching agencies
    ( that I knew about ) and supply was carried out by the County and you were paid the going rate (a little above) for your scale. I left teaching ( UPS 2) in 2010 after working full time permanent tor many years to care for my mum she had cancer. During my time away from supply ,lots of agencies emerged Recently I tried to join a teaching agency and was shocked and appalled to find I would be paid £80 a day, this is a backwards trend ..I was paid more then this in the late 1990s for supply work. WHY ARE WE ..SUPPLY TEACHERS ACCEPTING IT. I refused to accept that and am now caring for someone earning just above minimum wage ..it is about what I would have earned as a supply teacher ( after many many years of teaching) but more secure. A nursing agency I know pays carers the same as a supply teacher would earn and pays nurses £34 an hour...why don't supply teachers get the same.Its cruel, totally unfair and we really should fo something about it !!!

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi paveenrushda

Well done for refusing to work for £80.00 per day as a supply teacher. That is scandalous.

In some schools around where I live, the behaviour is so horrendous that if they paid me £500 per day I would not accept it. That might sound like an exaggeration, but it is true.