1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover Supervisor- is this too much?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by emzygeorgiemoo, Nov 20, 2018.

1. emzygeorgiemoo

emzygeorgiemoo New commenter

I am a Cover Supervisor that initially agreed to teach Maths in the absence of a teacher.
    I took this on, as I have a degree-despite admitting it is not my subject area.

Since starting, the expectations have got higher and higher. I started off planning and delivering the lessons.
    Then I was roped into parents evening, all within a few weeks. On top of this, I am expected to cover around the absent teachers timetable. So I have his lessons AND I am covering during PPA time/free lessons. All for no thanks or any kind of increment.

It is great experience for me and I love seeing the same students week in, week out- but should I say enough now?
    I can live with snide comments from students and staff when the odd lesson doesn't go right, but I'm wondering if this is the norm for cover staff!
    I'm not motivated by money, wrong profession for that! I don't like being taken advantage of either!

Advice needed! (please).

pepper5 and install like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

NO, NO, NO
    There are far too many downsides to what you are doing.

The Head of Maths is responsible for Progress being made in the department, that means s/he has to make sure your classes progress as well. The SLT above Maths has to facilitate all this Progressing. They both aren't going to accept any culpability in anything to do with you but paradoxically they have no responsibility towards helping you deliver better lessons.

If you ask for extra money or time or CPD like a proper teacher then you're asking to be made a scapegoat in the near future.

It's too late to just say, "Err this isn't what I signed up for", so I strongly suggest that you forget any future lesson planning, marking, data drops etc and focus on who to see and what to say to extract yourself as painlessly as possible.

Oh and it shouldn't be the norm for Cover staff, that's why supply teachers get paid a lot more than you despite you knowing the school and kids a lot better.

3. install

install Star commenter

Stop - you are paid as a Cover Supervisor yet are doing the job of a teacher. The school is laughing all the way to.the bank.

So -

1 Request.cover lesson plans from this point on

2 Do not go to Parents Eves or deal with any reports

3 You have the remit of a Cover Supervisor and the timetable of one. Do not be a mug ...

4 Clearly someone thinks you don't know the boundaries :cool:

eamonne1, pepper5, peter12171 and 2 others like this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the only way I could see you being asked to do this is on a separate contract paid as a teacher or at least an "instructor"
    Are you being paid holiday pay, pension etc as a teacher?

eamonne1 and pepper5 like this.
  5. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

If you are planning etc you are entitled to PPA. If they don't give you the time then stop doing it.

But that's only a small problem in the scheme of things.... helping out in the short term as an unqualified Maths teacher is ok. WE all do things "for the good of the kids/school/department" but as a long term solution it is not good for anyone. You are not being supported, not given time and not being paid for it.

Have you talked to your union and asked how they advise you approach people to get things changed because you have got to get this sorted and quickly?

eamonne1, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  6. emzygeorgiemoo

emzygeorgiemoo New commenter

Thank you for your reply! Ultimately, I fall under a cover manager, so I will speak to them.
    I really fear for
    You are all so right and have confirmed my thoughts. Also, no one is taking responsibility for these students and their 'gaps', most of which are in year 11. I am going to speak to my line manager and if nothing is done immediately, I will go to the union. Too much sleep lost over this!