1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover Supervisor Interview Help

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sa1994, Jul 5, 2016.

1. sa1994

sa1994 New commenter

Hi Guys, new to the forum. Hope you are all well! :):D

I was wondering if you could help me with my upcoming interview for the role of Cover Supervisor. This will be my first interview at a school and as an aspiring teacher, I know this could be the first step towards achieving a career in education. I have no idea what sort of questions to expect. I have done extensive searches all over google and various forums. Most have been aimed towards NQT's, LSA's or TA's. Nothing specific to CS interviews. I would be soooo grateful if you guys could help me out as I have no idea what to expect. I should be getting a schedule for the day but I have no idea what sort of answers to prepare for my formal interview. Just thinking about it is turning my stomach :(

All help will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks x

2. lilmonster

lilmonster New commenter

You will probably be asked what skills you think you can bring to the role. A Cover Supervisor has to have decent literacy and numeracy skills, be patient, understand school policies regarding discipline etc. Can you use IT/ whiteboard/ technology etc? Often the work set will involve this. What would you do with regards to a Safeguarding issue, what would you do if there was a serious behaviour issue? Your role is to ensure that the pupils complete the work set and that order and discipline are kept, the reality is that you often get asked random subject questions and often have to support weaker pupils.

gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

I think lilmonster has covered the bases well:)Just wanted to wish you well, interviews are horrid but we can learn from every one. Try to be confident (I know it's hard when you are feeling so nervous) and remember to take a bottle of water with you! They may ask you scenario type questions (never been a CS so don't know) but going on my experiences of interviews for primary teacher roles, if I didn't know I would be honest and say something like "I have no experience of this but in this situation I would do x, y and z" . They seemed to like this in my last interview as I got the job:) I would also try to get across your motivation for doing the job. It's about what you can offer the school not what they can give you. I read Theo Griff's preparing for an interview tips over on the career clinic forum and it really helped. I thought of 3 unique selling points about myself related to the job description and made sure I shoe horned them into the interview:D I also thoroughly researched the school which I think also helped but I also knew the area well which also, I think, went in my favour. Doing this gave me a quiet confidence I hadn't had before (I always go to pieces) and I felt prepared and calm.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. gingerhobo48

I know it sounds cheesey:D but I also mentally bigged myself up before the interview, lots of " you are just what they want", " you can do this job" type of thing:).
    Let us know how you get on.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. sa1994

sa1994 New commenter

Hi guys!! Thank you for the answers. I didn't get the job, but I did end up with a TA role elsewhere :):):D I actually followed your advice, did some good research beforehand, played it cool, had a proper conversation instead of reeling off answers and it worked!! Thought I would fill you in as you were awesome enough to answer and help me out!!

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Always good to hear back from people and their successes.

Well done. May it be everything you wish for.

7. gingerhobo48

Doing your research really prepares you , as does being yourself. If you can get on top of the nerves(which they expect) and relax enough to be yourself and show some of your personality it really helps.

I'm really pleased for you, have you started your role already? How are you finding things?

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

YAY. Congratulations on your job as a TA. You will get a lot of useful experience - enjoy your post.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Recently, I went for an 'as and when' CS job interview, which involved teaching an observed lesson. I didn't get it either.

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

JR

At least you got the interview.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. sa1994

sa1994 New commenter

Thanks all!! I'm starting on Monday :eek::D The staff were super friendly so I'm hoping it goes well.

JR - don't let it get you down. I had lots of rejections before I came into my own and bagged a role. You'll get the right one for you!!

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I rather think that someone dropped out, as after hearing nothing about my application, the school phoned me up and asked me to go in for interview on the following day.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Cover suporvisor - think moving target in an arcade game

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yesterday, I briefly entertained the thought of applying for a cover supervisor role, but no...don't want to be a moving target. Supply teaching is bad enough.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.