1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover Supervisor Interview help

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ensbv, Jan 3, 2007.

1. I am going to go to an interview for a cover supervisor post.

Can anyone throw any ideas of interview questions for this post please. What kind of questions do they ask and what do they want to hear? I am a bit nervous.

Thanks in advance.

2. I am going to go to an interview for a cover supervisor post.

Can anyone throw any ideas of interview questions for this post please. What kind of questions do they ask and what do they want to hear? I am a bit nervous.

Thanks in advance.

3. Hi i'm working as a curriculum support officer and seem to be doing the role of your new intended role. Can you give me a hint to what your role entails?

4. It will be a similar interview to TA3 They will want to know how you will handle behaviour, explain the set work which should be left, what you would do if you arive at a class and work hasn't been left, you will be asked about qualities, past experience of covering for a teacher and situations you may have had to deal with. you will need to appear confident nad have a good sense of humour. Will have another think about it but do post how you got on. Good luck.

5. I was a CS for 3 years (well still am, sort of).

You will probably be asked things such as how you would handle getting a class into the room and settles (meet and greet, settling activity/starter on the board), how you would deal with challenging behaviour (they may well give you a scenario).
    They will probably ask you how you see the role of a cover supervisor (ie. there to insure continuity for pupils and to facilitate learning by the supervison of pre-set work).

I'm sure there's more, but y mind has gone blank for the moment! :eek:)

Good luck!

6. ensbv

How many hours is the job for.

Under two?

If cover sup are same as Level 3 then I am confused.

As level 3 I have heard SHOULD (I know they don't) only do 2 hours cover.

Anyone?

7. chey

chey New commenter

Cover Supervisor is a seperate job Sandylion - usually in secondary - the vast amount of their time is to 'cover' lessons - work is set by the teacher and the CS is there to supervise the lesson . In primary they tend not to have them as even the older ones will need some input 'teaching' .

8. thanks again chey

What age range do you work with?

9. chey

chey New commenter

Primary :)

10. They do have them in primary...we have two at my school. They get posted in whatever class for whatever reason and whenever it is necessary.

Secondary is usually a full time role. In primary its another 'hat' you wear which comes on and off as the need arises.

Both CSs have been on a 'suitable' course and some of the people who were on the course were covering PPA and therefore teaching. It is also impossible in Primary to 'supervise' without it tipping over into teaching even at year 6 level.

One of the requirements for the role is that you can see into the head of any teacher that you stand in for at short notice and can morph into a pseudo teacher at the drop of a hat...you can pick up on any lesson in any class and virtually know the answer to anything. If work is set, you are not much better off because you tend not to know you are going to put your hat on until 5 minutes before.

So you need the sort of all encompassing brain that grasps the big picture in 2 seconds flat!.

And so far the two CSs at 'my' school get no extra pay.

The majority of the CSs on the course were planning and marking their own lessons and had lessons 'up their sleeve' so that they could avoid 'difficulties' due to being unprepared and putting your hat on at 5 minutes notice.

11. chey

chey New commenter

I did say 'tend not to have them in primary ' :) for exactly those reasons you state Galadriel . The cover supervisor course does include training/ideas for lessons to deliver at the drop of a hat in case of need but if schools followed the idea behind cover supervisors as they should they would only be supervising and not teaching . In my area a level 3 TA has such duties on their job description but they are not employed as one if that makes sense . Also anyone already in post when the new descriptions came into play would have been well within their rights to say that they wished for that part to be ommitted for theirs.
    It is unusual in my locality for them to be used in this way at all.