1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cover letter-the reasons for moving to a country/city

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by maireadmairead, May 1, 2012.

1. maireadmairead

maireadmairead New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering when you're applying for international jobs do you put the reason you want to go to that specific country or city? And if so where in the letter would you put it?

2. maireadmairead

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering when you're applying for international jobs do you put the reason you want to go to that specific country or city? And if so where in the letter would you put it?

3. Hi maireadmairead, I have just got a job abroad (Im due to start there in September) and when I wrote to the school to apply, I didn't put a reason why I wanted to go to the country of the school I applied for, I just wrote that it was my ambition to teach abroad.
    I wrote it in the first paragraph, when explaining why I was applying for the job.
    Hope that helps! :)

4. maireadmairead

Thanks a mil,

Do you write much about why you want the job? I usually just write a line and then talk about why I'd be good for the job.

Where did you get your job if you don'd mind me asking? I've been looking for a while in Europe now with no luck

Thanks

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Towards the <u>end</u> of the letter, and briefly, just to show this is not a carpet-bomb application but specific to the country concerned.
    And probably best to pretend to cultural rather than hedonistic interest.
    "Berlin would be a terrific place for me to live because I love surfing and have always wanted to learn Mandarin."
    "I am passionate about helping the developing world and urgently want to make my own small contribution to life in Helsinki."
    "I have to be honest and say that among the many attractions of Spain is the opportunity to save on my tax-free salary"
    "As an Australian I have dreamed of mingling with sophisticated and erudite English people and for this reason I believe the opportunity to be Head of Year 8 at Nempnett Thrubwell Comprehensive is tailor-made for me."
    "The friendly complaisant boys and girls in your country are exactly what I believe I need to give my career as a self-therapist the kick-start it needs."
    "I'm seeking a better life for myself, my non-teaching spouse and our four feral sons. I realise that Nullajundaree, N.T. is a fair way outside Sydney, but a foothold in Australia would be sooo cool!!"
    "Me and a friend back-packed round Peru six years ago so I know my way around Buenos Aires and even still remember some Portuguese!!"
    "After three years of what I thought was blissful marriage, my wife took our kid back to Kiev without warning. A job at your school will help me track 'em both down."
    As an Old Etonian myself I'd be perfectly at home at Les Ros&eacute;es and the teaching thingy isn't all that hard, is it?"
    ... and so on and on. Before you laugh, if you were even slightly tempted to do so, bear in mind that these are only very slightly altered from real applications I have seen, and take seriously only the first two lines of this post.

6. SMT Dude - those comments have just given me a giggle... I cant believe people actually wrote them!
    Maybe they didn't get anyone to read over their application first?!
    I especially liked the one

What the hell?!

maireadmairead - the job I got is in Doha, Qatar. Mainly talked about what attracted me to the post, the country and what I would bring to the post. :)

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Glad to give the giggle but you are right 'not to believe' as these are not verbatim - I do not have the database of applications before me on this festive evening but believe me they do not stray so very far from bizarre reality.
    In serious vein, your advice and mine are the same: a quick, precise remark after you have shown that you are a red-hot candidate for the teaching post concerned.

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Depends.

Why do you want the school to employ you.? This should determine your approach to your application.
    So they get a teacher who fits the job spec?
    So they get a teacher who will be happy?
    So they get a teacher who will use the school as a staging post, professionally or personally (or both?)?
    So they get a teacher who will use the opportunity to grow as a person?
    So they get a teacher who will do the job well in order to follow his or her dreams?

Some of the things are important most employers. Some employers just want your blood. Others want all of these things and more (for good or bad).

There is no wrong or right answer to your question. Sell yourself honestly. With the stress on honestly, yourself and sell.

9. maireadmairead

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll stick a couple of lines in at the end [​IMG]