1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover letter proofreading

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by frenchnes, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I'm getting started with job hunting for September 2012. I'm an NQT of MFL. I'm looking for a sympathetic soul to proofread my cover letters as I'm not very confident with written English, being native French speaker (and writer...). I don't want to jeopardize my chances to get short-listed by sending poorly-written letters!
    Thanks
    Frenchnes

2. Hi there,
    I'm getting started with job hunting for September 2012. I'm an NQT of MFL. I'm looking for a sympathetic soul to proofread my cover letters as I'm not very confident with written English, being native French speaker (and writer...). I don't want to jeopardize my chances to get short-listed by sending poorly-written letters!
    Thanks
    Frenchnes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't wish to be unhelpful, but not a good idea to show your letter to anyone else, especially someone that you don't know.
    They could indeed be a kind helpful soul, but they might also be tempted to copy some really good ideas that you have.
    And if they do, then your letter could be rejected by a school using software to detect similarities in applications, as they wouldnb't know if that person had copied from you, or you from them.
    Best to get a real person that you know and trust to do your proof-reading.
    But also, follow all the advice on jobseeking that we have here:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. I actually had secong thoughts after posting the message...
    Thank you for your advice; I'll follow it since I've read some of your posts and they always sound very relevant!