1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover letter or additional info?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by love_3_arts, Apr 30, 2020.

1. love_3_arts

love_3_arts New commenter

Hello everyone,

This might seem like a silly question but I would appreciate if someone could provide me with some clarification. I am currently a student teacher looking for a teaching job in a Primary School. I am unsure if I should be sending my cover letter attached to the application form or in the "additional information" section. At university, we were told to send it separately and refer to it in the additional info. However, a school as rejected me for not following procedure and attaching a cover letter which "had not been requested". What should I be doing?

I hope this makes sense, thank you :)

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You should read first the job advert for details of how to apply, and then you should read the application form for details of how to set out your information, and you should not deviate at all from what is written there. If you perceive an ambiguity about what to do, then contact the person receiving the applications and ask for clarification.
    Some schools need to keep things compact in order to process it easily, and other schools like to make things unwieldy to see how you respond to that challenge.
    Regardless, all schools will be looking at how you follow the instructions about applying which might be a pest to get right, but you have to as it's usually the first they will know of you. If you put a covering letter in which was not explicitly required, they will have seen you as someone unable to follow important instructions in one way or another.

I'm not really sure what else to say, apart from wondering why your University seems to have given you advice as if it were to pertain to every single application, or you seem to have interpreted it that way. Each application is different.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hate that!

Putting on the application form "See letter" If you can't be bothered to write it where I have asked for it, why should I be bothered to go and seek it out?

I would also query how many appointments for teaching jobs in schools your Uni Tutor has been involved in. Has s/he been selecting the short list, been on interview panels in schools?

No, I thought not!