1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover letter - how to word it that you have a child?????

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by toyship, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Help!!!!!

Whilst I should be merry at this time of year, I am filling in job applications and I am stuck on how to work my cover letter so that the school knows that I have a son!!! I think it is only fair that I should state this now PLUS I have been told that I should rather that spring it on the interview panel.... if I get that far!!!

thanks

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I just write it on my C.V. along with personal information.
    There are two schools of thought on this. The first one is that it is none of the employers business and you having dependents should not influence the employers decision.
    My own personal view is that this is important information for the employer, and if they do not wish to offer me a job when they know it, then I would rather find out now than later. I dare say there have been schools that have been put off by the fact that I have two kids and a non-teaching spouse, but that is their loss not mine, so I am not that bothered.

3. thanks!

I am considering putting this in my cover letter.....

(....... etc )<font size="3">professionally and personally for my son and I. </font>
    ?????????

4. FYI - it's "for my son and me" not "for my son and I". You would not say "for I", would you?

5. Maybe you could speak to my mother!!!! She constantly nags me about this... she is old school grammar!!

[​IMG]

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why would you want to do that? It is you who would be employed, not your son.

7. You are right!

But I have just found their covering letter for the post and there is a box for those with children !!!

Can I also ask.... where is the balance for jobs abroad? Is it highly competitve and I will be up against 100s of applicants?

thanks again

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I would make certain that your vital information is in the international CV format as opposed to a resume (if it's not already). In a CV format, many people will place their address and contact information at the top and with that you would include your nationality, and dependent information (along with a picture).
    That way the employer has the information and how/where you mention it in a cover letter is less important.