1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover letter for teaching job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gehlececile, Dec 19, 2019.

1. gehlececile

gehlececile New commenter

Hi,
    I'm applying for a teaching position and I am not sure how to write the cover letter.
    The school is asking the following:
    Please enclose a covering letter (no more than 2 sides in Calibri font size 11) answering the following two questions:

1. Why do you want to teach at our school?

2. How will you fit into our unique ethos?

I have written cover letters before but in this case, I don't know if I should answer the 2 questions asked by the school in 2 separate paragraphs (format 1. ../ 2. ) or if I should simply write my cover letter, answering the 2 questions among other things.
    Any thought?
    Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If they've asked you to address those two questions I would do just that, add any other relevant info, you feel they need to know whilst answering the question.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I recommend that you answer the two questions in separate numbered paragraphs. Typically panels have scoring grids for how well each candidate has answered specific questions and matched the Person Spec. Make it easy for them by explicitly identifying where you answer each question etc. You can put other things in as well of course, just don't mingle them all up.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as the others say, you need to make it very clear that you are answering specifically their requirements.

It would also help to include an Executive Summary, if they have a person specification, setting out in tabular form their requirements on the LH side and how you comply on the RH side.

If you look under Resources on here, I've done a blank for you to help you. Saves you trying to draw up a neat table in Word format! Just go to Resources and type in my name (all one word) to find it.

If you are doing a bit of job hunting, I suggest that you do a search on Amazon for downloadable books on Applying for a Teaching Job.

Be careful to choose wisely!

There will be loads of books on job applications. Don't select anything American - you're not applying for a job in Los Angeles. Nor anything about job applications in general - you're not applying for a job with M&S. So books about applying for a teaching job in the UK.

Once you've found some suitable books, check out the reviews of these possible to help you decide.

You can download many Amazon books directly to a Kindle, or to a phone, tablet or computer with the free Kindle App, and start reading straight away.

Good luck!

pam.go2 likes this.