1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cover letter for independent schools

Discussion in 'Independent' started by patros, Jan 8, 2011.

1. I have been working in the state sector for the past years and want to change into the private sector. I was wondering in how far the cover letter would need to be different from one for a state job, e.g. talking more about results, working with motivated children (or would you include strategies for teaching SEN children as well?), teaching stretegies etc. I also wonder if it was important to include a general statement about why I wanted to move into the private sector or would it be better to write about why I wanted to work at the specific school I am applying to.
    All application letters I have sent to state schools in the past have given me interviews so I was just wondering if the letter is a lot different for private. Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The job market is not good at the moment, as you probably know. There are swathes of NQTs from last year and the year before who haven't yet got jobs, and fewer jobs advertised all round.
    So the competition is getting greater and greater.
    When you are going to be in competition with very large numbers of candidates (I have had up to 150 applicants in my school, and that was 4 years ago; goodness knows what it is nowadays. There are schools in some areas who are getting 200+ applicants regularly), then your application has to be outstanding to stand out!
    Any application should be tailor-made for that school. It must address what they say that they need in their job spec and person spec. It must also address what they don't say that they need, but is clear from their website, for example. It is no longer going to be almost automatic that a good candidate can get an interview with a more general letter. It needs to be targetted nowadays.
    I suggest that you go to the JobSeekers Forum and open the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread. And then follow that advice! Other posters have found that it works, and Heads appreciate applications that do what I say:
    <h3>Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview </h3><h3>taking Theo's Advice </h3><h3>The benefit of an executive summary </h3>I suggest that you think in particular about what you could contribute to the indy school for their co-curricular activities. Open the Welcome thread on here too, and read all the general information about indy schools.
    Best of luck with that application!