1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cover letter for assistant faculty leader, but no job description, what should i write about ? Help please !!?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by FrenchyAmelie, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Hello everybody,

I have been a MFL teacher for a year only, I am loving it and it has been successful so far. Our assistant faculty leader is pregnant, and her role has been advertised in our department for maternity cover. It turns out I am the only one applying, but I have to write a cover letter of 2 A4 pages maximum.
    I have had a chat with both our current assistant faculty leader as well as our faculty leader about the responsibilities involved (intervention, performance management, foreign assistants, organising speaking exams, faculty meetings), but no job description is available.
    I am not really sure of what to write about in my letter, having been teaching for a year only, and not really being entirely sure of what the responsibilities are.. It has to be given on Monday, please help ?!!
    has any of you have any tips about what to include for a leadership role, any skills to put forward, necessary knowledge, necessary anything ??
    Please let me know if you have any tip, i would really appreciate it, i am a bit lost and confused right now!
    Thank you all in advance,
    Amelie

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The lack of a job description is a bit of a nuisance, because usually you address the tasks in it in your letter.
    Start with how your qualifications and experience equip you for the role, and quote examples of what you have done so far that enable you to be considered, particularly for the things mentioned in your post. Highlight, as this is the first step on the road to management, how you intend to manage those staff allocated to you - particularly if they are challenging in nature - and how this post relates to the head of faculty and any other TLR holders, i.e. how you will contribute to the management team. You should also stress your personal and organisational skills, use of data for tracking and intervention and how you see the role in terms of your own professional development over the next 3-5 years.
    Good luck.

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I, honestly, would not apply for a job which has no job description. They could have you doing anything. Surely, there is a school job description for a faculty leader which states the responsibilities?

4. Thank you so much, it will be very helpful! It gives me a good guidance of what to include.
    Thanks again!

5. I would not apply for it for the lack of job description and furthermore for your inexperience in the job. You would do yourself a disservice and to your department as you have only one year experience. Gaining more experience in teaching and assume more responsibilities in leadership and management of department. Honest as one can be!