1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover letter and statement of educational philosophy... difference?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EmmaP1, Nov 9, 2015.

1. EmmaP1

EmmaP1 New commenter

I am currently applying for a job in an international school and they are asking for a covering letter and a statement of educational philosophy... I'm not sure what to put in each. In the past I have written letters which fully explain my philosophy and incorporated my experience and why I want to work at a particular school but I'm unsure as to what to put in each part. Could anybody help?

2. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Covering letter: why you want the job, what you can bring to the job, why you're qualified for the job, experience/skills you have.

Educational philosophy: your views on education/what works in education/what doesn't, why every child matters, what approaches/methods are effective

You could, of course, reinforce your points in the latter by exemplifying how you implement your philosophy in your own practice, but only use them as illustrations of how you support your philosophy of education, not for selling yourself for this specific job role.

Hope that's useful.