1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover lessons: simple yet useful ideas?

Discussion in 'English' started by Clarerees, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Uh oh, we've all been there..........
    It's darkest November on a Tuesday morning and a member of the department has suddenly fainted/ burst into tears/ thrown up/ been called away to deal with an incident and you've got to provide cover for their KS3 class. What do you set?
    I'm looking for a set of very easy ideas which are not a complete waste of time (erm, we've all asked them to draw a picture/ put on a DVD). I will then collate these and put them together in a useful document for us to use. All suggestions welcome!

2. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Email me! I have some I've made, begged, borrowed & stolen for the last 3 weeks of cover work I've been setting for a colleague!
    HMI in Weds/Thurs though so might not be until weekend.
    zoebrunning@gmail.com

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

P.S.
    At my last school we all had to provide emergency cover lessons which were then kept by department heads. Each set had a front sheet which recorded when they had been used and by what class.

5. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

teachit have produced a set of cover work materials too - well worth the investment.

6. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Thanks loads- some useful ideas here already.
    I should have been more specific. I'm looking for ideas that I will collate and then put up on this site for users to share e.g. 'write a detailed description of a terrifying monster. Draw an annotated picture to accompany this' or something better.