1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover image sizing help

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mytwintasticteacher, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the correct dimensions for creating product cover images so that text or images are not cut off?

Many thanks
    Ruth

2. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

Cover image sizes should be 800 px by 600 px. I use Canva to create my cover images at those dimensions, and they fit.

3. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

4. wordsmithDFA

wordsmithDFA New commenter

I found it tedious checking dimensions. If you use a widescreen ptt slide and cover a square shape of the area, screenshot it and crop. It comes out near perfect.

5. wordsmithDFA

wordsmithDFA New commenter

Well...just over a square - cutting about 2 inches off the slide.

6. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

Agree with bekastks, cover images are easy to create using Canva and should be 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels high.

7. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

I use Word to make all of my cover images and keep them in a subject-related document. That way I can always copy and paste a previously ready-formatted cover image to simply adjust the colours, pictures, text, etc...
    Initially I created a rectangle from 'shapes' and formatted it to 3.5" in height and 5" in width.
    Once I am happy with the cover, I use the Windows 'snipping tool' to cut out the cover and save it as a .jpg file in the relevant folder.
    The important thing with Word is to stick with the zoom on the same percentage when you work on the cover and when you then cut it out. Personally, I use 100% for all adjustments.
    Works every time. ;)

8. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

Personally I use powerpoint to do mine. I've got a file set up as my front covers which is the On-Screen Show 4:3. I think as long as you're using that ratio then any size is fine. The sizes bekastks quoted is in the same ratio.

I usually put all of my elements for my front cover onto a slide and then select everything on the slide (CTRL A) and copy.

Then right click - paste as picture.
    Then right click the picture and "save as picture". This means you don't have to worry about getting a dodgy bit of background with the snipping tool.

thecre8tiveresources likes this.
  9. a51_ufo

a51_ufo New commenter

I also do my cover images in PowerPoint, then just save as a jpeg.

10. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

PNG is the best file to save as if you are using pictures, Jpegs work best for photos

11. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

Yeah I agree with TheGingerTeacher PNG is far superior. It wont go pixely when you increase the size.

12. Elsasupport

Elsasupport New commenter

I always use powerpoint slides of 4:3 and save as a PNG. Fits perfectly and dead simple.