1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover - Help!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by GemLP, Jun 23, 2011.

1. GemLP

GemLP New commenter

Hi all,

I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer for and wondered if any one has any experience of this?
    Our 'free' periods have been put onto our timetables as 'available to teach' and thus we supposedly can get asked to cover lessons.
    My question is this - I have been asked to cover at least one class every day in the last two weeks - none of these are 'emergency' covers, all of the teachers I have covered for are on long term sick or planned absences. Is this reasonable or is it worth me challenging?

Any advice greatfully received (even if it is to man up and stop whining!!!)

Thanks

2. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

They cannot ask you to do this as it breaks the rarely cover agreement by the nature of the covers you have done. Speak to your school rep. who then may need back up from the local area union rep.

We had exactly the same situation and although the school refused to accept this initially, they eventually had to back down after being contacted by the local area rep.

3. The advice is ... From September 2009, teachers should be rarely covering for absent teachers and schools will need to look at alternative methods of providing cover. ‘Rarely cover’ should mean ‘not at all under normal circumstances’ and schools should plan with the assumption that teaching staff do not cover for absent colleagues. WAMG state that ‘when devising strategies to implement ‘rarely cover’ schools should bear in mind that ‘rarely’ does not mean ‘never’. Where teachers do provide cover, the headteacher is required to ensure that cover for the lessons of absent teachers is shared equitably among teachers in the school (including the headteacher), taking into account their teaching and other duties and the desirability of not using a teacher at the school until all other reasonable means of providing cover have been exhausted.
    Don't forget also that you should be guaranteed your PPA time (which I am assuming is defined as such) and should never be asked to cover during this time.

4. Are you in a State maintained school, academy or independent school? It will make a difference to the answer.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

so presumably this means that you have 5 frees a week on top of PPA?!
    Unless they are asking you to cover in PPA time?

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

But rarely cover still applies in these "frees" as primaryleader says above:-
    The advice is ... From September 2009, teachers should be rarely
    covering for absent teachers and schools will need to look at
    alternative methods of providing cover. ‘Rarely cover’ should mean ‘not
    at all under normal circumstances’ and schools should plan with the
    assumption that teaching staff do not cover for absent colleagues. WAMG
    state that ‘when devising strategies to implement ‘rarely cover’ schools
    should bear in mind that ‘rarely’ does not mean ‘never’. Where teachers
    do provide cover, the headteacher is required to ensure that cover for
    the lessons of absent teachers is shared equitably among teachers in the
    school (including the headteacher), taking into account their teaching
    and other duties and the desirability of not using a teacher at the
    school until all other reasonable means of providing cover have been
    exhausted.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Does anybody know of a Head who actually does cover? Or can they claim that 'other duties' mean they don't have to, in which case the reference to the headteacher is meaningless.