1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover for striking teachers

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jamesgjulie, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Afraid not - there is advice on this on the NAHT website re legalities.

2. R13

R13 New commenter

ATL did vote for a strike and should be out on Thursday unless individual members choose to ignore thier decision - NASUWT didn't vote and they should be working BUT no Union member of any Union should be covering for another union member out on strike be that a teacher, an assistants or a member of Gove's parents army!!

3. ATL forgot to ballot us, so ATL members there cannot strike (advice from union)
    I have looked at the NAHT website - and have found (and read) three pages on strike issues, including having to consider whether the head should cover, or keep themselves free to deal with the unforseen. I cannot see anything about the legality of telling (or asking) non-striking staff to cover for striking staff. Maybe I'm just blind.

4. We are not dealing with a "legal" issue here.
    All the advice I have seen from ATL, NUT, NASUWT, ASCL and NAHT as well as my LA, advises schools NOT to ask non-striking teachers to cover for their colleagues who are taking action. Heads should not try to instruct such teachers to cover as they will a) be told NO by the staff concerned as they will be following advice from their unions; and b) will open themselves up to action by unions representing the staff who were so instructed.

5. Thankyou