1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover for head teacher who will be on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sparklefan, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Just wanted people's views on a small or rather big issue I am facing. Back in February I was appointed as a head of a small infant school. I was 5 months pregnant when I went for the post, and was very up front throughout the process about the fact that I would be on maternity leave in September. I would have fully understanded if they hadnt appointed me but they did. I am now in the position where I am due to go on maternity leave next week and up until yesterday nothing had been done to cover in my absence. My aniexity over this is compounded by the fact that the school is in a vulnerable position as it has double satisfactory inspections and standards are not the greatest (all of which I was fully aware of before applying) and inspection will be due during the autumn term. My current school is a national support school and only a few miles from my new post and they were originally approached to cover for me, however, the out going head has 'issues' with my current head and has convinced the governors was not a good idea. I then discovered yesterday that the school had found a potential head teacher to be acting, he has been asked to resign by his current governors and now needs a job, he has taken an outstanding school to satisfactory (whilst I appreciate this can happen) it wouldn't be what I would consider to be the best appointment for a vulnerable school. I have not been consulted at all and am only aware of this development because I had my first handover meeting yesterday.
    I guess my question is would you expect to be consulted? Do you Think I should offer my opinion? I leave well only go in maternity leave and worry about it when I get back?
    The out going head informed me yesterday that the governing body were considering passing a vote of no confidence in the current chair and this makes me question if they are the best placed to be making this decision. The LA appear to distanceing themselves from supporting the governors. The update from today was the acting had been appointed so looks like decision made. I feel very angry that I don't feel all options were appropriately explored and am concerned about what I will now be facing in the spring term when I return.

Any opinions/ views or comments welcomed
    Sorry for the rant but didn't know where else to get a considered opinion from.

2. Hi,
    Just wanted people's views on a small or rather big issue I am facing. Back in February I was appointed as a head of a small infant school. I was 5 months pregnant when I went for the post, and was very up front throughout the process about the fact that I would be on maternity leave in September. I would have fully understanded if they hadnt appointed me but they did. I am now in the position where I am due to go on maternity leave next week and up until yesterday nothing had been done to cover in my absence. My aniexity over this is compounded by the fact that the school is in a vulnerable position as it has double satisfactory inspections and standards are not the greatest (all of which I was fully aware of before applying) and inspection will be due during the autumn term. My current school is a national support school and only a few miles from my new post and they were originally approached to cover for me, however, the out going head has 'issues' with my current head and has convinced the governors was not a good idea. I then discovered yesterday that the school had found a potential head teacher to be acting, he has been asked to resign by his current governors and now needs a job, he has taken an outstanding school to satisfactory (whilst I appreciate this can happen) it wouldn't be what I would consider to be the best appointment for a vulnerable school. I have not been consulted at all and am only aware of this development because I had my first handover meeting yesterday.
    I guess my question is would you expect to be consulted? Do you Think I should offer my opinion? I leave well only go in maternity leave and worry about it when I get back?
    The out going head informed me yesterday that the governing body were considering passing a vote of no confidence in the current chair and this makes me question if they are the best placed to be making this decision. The LA appear to distanceing themselves from supporting the governors. The update from today was the acting had been appointed so looks like decision made. I feel very angry that I don't feel all options were appropriately explored and am concerned about what I will now be facing in the spring term when I return.

Any opinions/ views or comments welcomed
    Sorry for the rant but didn't know where else to get a considered opinion from.

3. R13

R13 New commenter

Is this an LA school? It sounds like a complete catalogue of poor decisions and, for the sake of the pupils, one would hope someone would step in

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It wasn't just me then?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Do we assume there's no deputy head here?

6. Sorry to clarify, it is a faith school and there is no deputy. I went to the school on secondment 18 months ago, so know an element of what I was getting myself into. I have also been sent out to several schools in vulnerable circumstances through my role in my current school under the umbrella of national support school. I suppose what I am really asking is can I do anything about this? Or should I leave well alone go on maternity leave and worry about it when I come back. (not that this sits well with me, because I am passionate about the school and want ultimately what is best for the pupils and staff. )

7. R13

R13 New commenter

and I think what we are saying is how on earth can any school in such dire circumstances act so irresponsibly in terms of Governance and I have to say in terms of appointing someone who will begin this incredibly important and incredibly demanding role by being absent on maternity leave.

Faith school is right - they must be hoping for divine intervention

8. If this was in my neck of the woods - the diocese would be heavily involved - they would try to find someone from another church school to cover. If they school was in trouble and Governors are a concerns, the diocese would be helping to ensure the Governors are guided in the right direction.
    Is there someone at the diocese you could go to in confidence and discuss it?
    You could also phone your union, mine was excellent when discussing an issue in the past. They give you an outside opinion and understand the statutory side of things too.
    Poor you - sounds like a difficult situation.
    B

9. R13

R13 New commenter

R.e. R13 Would it not be discriminatory to not employ somebody on the grounds she is pregnant?

Quite possibly - .I take your point fully - but to appoint someone to lead a school in crisis who would then not turn on the first day to do anything about it would also be irresponsible