1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Cover folder' what should I put in it?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jools1808, May 24, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT starting work in Septmber. I've been advised to create a 'cover folder' to be available if I am away for any reason.
    Other than a general working plan for the day, I wanted to ask what you think would be useful to put in it?

Thanks

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Don't ever put anything in it that begins with the phrases 'Design a poster for..' or 'In groups, practice a play about..'

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Oh yes, don't make the mistake of preparing a booklet full of work that is given to the kids every time you're away - they hate it.

On a more positive note - a disc with some handy Teacher's TV clips on (or links thereto) all available via the TES site now, or a DVD with some useful programmes on?

4. For illness / emercency cover. No planning needed!!!!
    I got an A4 book clearly labelled 'FOR SUPPLY' and told kids where it was so they could give it to them straight away.
    I said "If a different person is here and I'm poorly, you get yourself a reading book for 10 minutes, sit at your literacy table and quietly read whilst the teacher looks at our special book." They all agreed this would be a nice thing to do!
    Room plan x 2 showing groups for literacy/numeracy with names on spaces.
    Pages headed with days of week. They display a very basic timetable and where a lesson is to take place it will say "choose activity from back of book"
    At the back of the book are 3 plastic wallets with prepared activities, 1 numeracy, 1 literacy and 1 creative. Sticker on with photocopier code.
    Need a time filler? I said to simply read a story, spelling game, quiz, choosing time.
    Tidy up competition at end of day. The winner will be written on board for me to see in the morning!
    I just want them to have an easy day so kept it so simple. No planning.

5. Dams that is a brilliant idea, I love it.