1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cover during industrial action?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by InItForTheHolidays, Jun 20, 2011.

1. InItForTheHolidays

InItForTheHolidays New commenter

I am taking part in the industrial action on 30th June, and will not be in work on that day. The school is closing for years 7 and 8. but is open for years 9 and 10, as there is a significant number of staff striking, but not enough to close the school. Are the members of staff who are not striking, legally obliged to cover for staff taking part in industrial action? I would not want to cover for staff who were on strike. Also am I legally obliged to set cover? This seems counter productive to the whole point of striking to simply cover the lessons.

We do not have a union rep in school, so thought I'd ask on here.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. InItForTheHolidays

InItForTheHolidays New commenter

I am taking part in the industrial action on 30th June, and will not be in work on that day. The school is closing for years 7 and 8. but is open for years 9 and 10, as there is a significant number of staff striking, but not enough to close the school. Are the members of staff who are not striking, legally obliged to cover for staff taking part in industrial action? I would not want to cover for staff who were on strike. Also am I legally obliged to set cover? This seems counter productive to the whole point of striking to simply cover the lessons.

We do not have a union rep in school, so thought I'd ask on here.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

3. Hi, I am in the NASUWT, so am not striking - we are in similar situation r.e lack of rep for NASUWT. I am not sure about your legal obligation to set cover work, but i can tell you that those of us not striking are not to cover any lesson for those involved in industrial action.

4. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

We've been told that the school cannot use agency staff, non-striking teachers or CS to cover lessons for striking colleagues.

5. You are correct. Search for "Industrial Action" on the www.nasuwt.org.uk web site for advice