1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coursework -- is it reasonable...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by BirdBath, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ... to expect some training in how to mark Year 11 coursework? I am an NQT who has been throwing in at the deep end pretty much all round this year. Just when I have managed to come up for breath and think I might possibly survive till July I have been hit with marking 31 pieces of Year 11 coursework. Was given a handout on how to do it and pointed at the examplar pieces on the exam board website. I've literally 'had a go' but pretty much suspect that my marking is way off -- I'd never even seen a piece of year 11 coursework before this year let alone marked one.
    s a sit down training session or a 1-to-1 with someone an unreasonable expectation? I mentioned my concerns at quality this evening and was told "well I learnt to do it 'on the job'," and "they don't teach you lots of stuff like this on the PGCE".
    It's Science Triple BTW

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

I have to say I would be expecting to sit down with someone in your situation and moderate their marking.
    P

3. Yes it is reasonable to have training and their - 'I learned on the job and so should you' is not good enough. No, we don't teach you how to mark the year 11 coursework on a PGCE because we don't know which board your school, will subscribe to and two thirds of the PGCE is done in schools. You need training and you need guidance that is more than just a sheet of instructions. You also need feedbac k on your marking and should be shadowmarking with an experienced marker.
    James

4. I don't think that is at all unreasonable. I have been hit with Y10, Y11 and Y12 Applied Science coursework and Y10 and Y11 ISA's this year - never marked any of them before. Dept have been fab. I had ' a go' at marking using available mark schemes etc, then was able to sit down with more experienced staff and go over my uncertanties and queries. This helped a lot and felt much more confident when marking the rest.
    All the marking will also be moderated - one lot done (PHEW) and more to go.....

Maybe try marking 2 or 3 and then ask to sit with some one for a short time and go over any specific worries or concerns that you have..........that is not an unreasonalbe request.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Don't know about Science, but for English, NQTs I've worked with have always marked their own coursework. It is, without exception badly marked but it all washes out in the moderation. Try marking a dozen and sort into rank order. Then ask HOD/a colleague to look at a top, a middle and a bottom folder. Adjust if necessary and just get them done. By the time you've finished, you'll get a feel for the mark scheme.