1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coursework Burnout

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by bob79, Apr 11, 2011.

1. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Hi, I teach A Level Media and English A Level. I am posting because I wondered if any of you could help me. Overall I get good results with my students I find many of them struggle making the leap from GCSE to A Level throughout their two year course. Most of my students struggle with the written components which in either subject can clearly not be avoided. The average Target Grade of my students at AS Level is a D and the majority have achieved a C or B at GCSE - a small proportion have an A. Although I provide lots of supportive resources I feel I am missing the mark when it comes to giving them the support they claim they have had at school with their essay writing. Would any of you be willing to either advise me on the types of writing frames and support you provide to your GCSE students? Would any of you mind posting exemplar resources that you use to help support GCSE essay writing/coursework? I am hoping that by knowing more about their GCSE experience I can support them properly through their A Level exams and coursework because at the moment I just feel I am not. Many thanks.

2. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Hi, I teach A Level Media and English A Level. I am posting because I wondered if any of you could help me. Overall I get good results with my students I find many of them struggle making the leap from GCSE to A Level throughout their two year course. Most of my students struggle with the written components which in either subject can clearly not be avoided. The average Target Grade of my students at AS Level is a D and the majority have achieved a C or B at GCSE - a small proportion have an A. Although I provide lots of supportive resources I feel I am missing the mark when it comes to giving them the support they claim they have had at school with their essay writing. Would any of you be willing to either advise me on the types of writing frames and support you provide to your GCSE students? Would any of you mind posting exemplar resources that you use to help support GCSE essay writing/coursework? I am hoping that by knowing more about their GCSE experience I can support them properly through their A Level exams and coursework because at the moment I just feel I am not. Many thanks.

3. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Leave an email address Bob - or conatct me at
    k_langton@btopenworld.com
    You're welcome to some of the resources that I use, if they might help - I'll swap you for some AS / A2 frameworks / overviews to help my G&T / link strategic planning. [​IMG]