1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Courses to get a foot in the door?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Vic123abc, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I've decided that I would dearly love to work in a special needs school. There is a primary school near me for pupils with severe or profound learning difficulties. I have just returned to mainstream (two years off with children) doing part-time supply. I'm thinking of contacting the school in September to ask if I could do supply there.

My question is, I don't have a great deal of experience with SEN, mainly autism in mainstream, so can anyone guide me to courses that I could do that would help get a foot in the door? Would learning sign language be of any help? As I'm supply at the moment they need to be courses that I can do outside the classroom.

Any help or advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I feel so passionately about this change, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! My mum just retired this week from working as a nursery nurse in a special school and I think talking to her just really made me realise what I want to do.

Anyway, hope you all have a great summer.
    Thanks,
    Vic

2. R13

R13 New commenter

I work in a special school like the one you describe and would personally value experience over a qualification - though signing would be hugely important in the classroom and also demonstrate some commitment on your part.
    I'd suggest you give the special school a ring and ask for a visit and tour and chat through your thoughts with the Head and see what he/she thinks

3. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

Thanks very much for your reply. A visit would definitely be a good idea. Think I'll also have a look at signing.

Thanks again.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Have you got a spare morning/afternoon a week to do some voluntary work in the special school?
    You'll learn loads about SEN and also get your face known for when a job does appear. The school will also know how committed you are.

5. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

Thanks, that did cross my mind. I could possibly do it for a short while. It would be good to see if it's really for me as I don't suppose you know until you actually give it a go.