1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Courses in Leadership- any ideas?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by missfisher, May 13, 2010.

1. Hi,

I recently applied for a Subject Leader position but was pipped to the post my someone with leadership training of which I have none. What with rarely cover (and the fact that the position does not exist at my school with a smaller department- it would be obvious I would be doing the course with the idea of leaving so it would not be in their interest to pay for the course)...
    Are there any leadership courses for teachers (I guess it doesn't necessaily have to be only for teachers) which run in the evenings/weekends or holidays? Preferably free (I realise this is a bit hopeful) or for an affordable fee?

Any advice/ideas very much appreciated :)

2. I forgot to say, I am in the Oxfordshire area but willing to travel for up to an hour

3. Hi Miss Fisher,

I read your post, and would like to see if I can offer some help.

I am part of a non-profit community organisation called the Entrepreneurial Club. Although that word has many connotations in society (thank you, Dragon's Den...) our work is based on principle-centred leadership for people in careers in various sectors, from education to

We focus on personal leadership first, then leadership of others. We are currently London based, and as I said we are a non-profit, so all of our courses are purely cost-covering. All our courses are run on evenings and weekends.

If you'd like to know more or have any questions, please feel free to get in touch. My email is sukh.singh@e-club.org.uk. If I do not hear from you, I wish you the best of luck on finding a Leadership Course and getting to where you want to go!

Warmest Regards

Sukh

4. Although online courses can be useful - I prefer also meeting other teachers facing the same challenges. I have also got some good tips and swopped emails with other people in the same situation.
    If you are working in a school you should be entitled to ask for some cpd too, you have development entitlements through yr performnance management. Osiris Educational and Lighthouse offer one day courses that might suit your needs - see their websites. I am guessing you could get to Birmingham or London from your base, also you might if the tutor is good get some extra interview tips and suggestions to help you. Ask other staff for suggestions of good courses so you land a very good one and not a turkey. Although more courses are in term time, you should be able to find one on a lighte teaching day. Good Luck.[​IMG]