1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Course Rationale & Summary Documents (NQ 4 & 5)

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kibosh, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

SQA have now published these draft documents for National 4 and National 5. They are looking for feedback during a short consultation period (next 2 months).
    (www.sqa.org.uk/curriculumforexcellence).
    Anyone feeling enlightened?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

SQA have now published these draft documents for National 4 and National 5. They are looking for feedback during a short consultation period (next 2 months).
    (www.sqa.org.uk/curriculumforexcellence).
    Anyone feeling enlightened?

3. I am none the wiser.

4. Neither am I but I'm sure certain departments like Maths and English will delighted to get their hands on a bit of paper that allows them plan ahead for the next 6 years or so. [​IMG]

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This particular sentence puzzles me -
    "Units are statements of standards for assessment and not programmes of learning and teaching."
    Anybody know what it means?

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I want to cry. CfE is going to kill me!

7. Remember Grunwald's Law on the Curriculum for Excellence. Every word used to describe the curriculum is the exact opposite of its accepted meaning. The programme's title is emblematic. CfE offers neither curriculum nor excellence.
    Thus, in the above declaration "Units are statements of standards for assessment", Grunwald's Law is confirmed in that neither standard nor assessment is given.
    Millions and millions of words - when a simple test paper would have conveyed much more enlightenment. (Are there still such things as test papers, of course?)

8. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Grunwald,nowadays we dream about having test papers! No,apparently,every single piece of assement (are we still allowed to use this word or has a new pupil friendly word been invented?) has to be producted in house. I always suspected this much but that was the big reveal a few months ago! Kill me now.

9. That's it? That's all we get? How the France are we meant to consult on that?

Could they be any vaguer?!?

10. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

producted? I meant produced.....I'm losing my mind.

11. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

so it'll be NQ4 or NQ5 added to the top of the materials instead of "S" grade then

12. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Draft course rationale ...
    Another fn "work in progress".
    Added value unit at N4 is a project.
    Surely the term added value is an oxymoron here? N4 will have no external exam verification so it will have all the value of a nine bob note.

13. I doubt it. Looking at the English ones it seems very much that aside from re-naming the different areas to take account of ICT (ie. what we now call reading at SG becomes analysis and evaluation so that you can "read" audio and visual texts) the course seems very similar.

14. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes but we're now all busy writing scheme and assessments,something which we never had to do before. Also,the way we are supposed to teach just doesn't come naturally to me.

15. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

I think I may have wasted my time reading my version of this document today, 46 pages. Only one was any use, and all it did was tell the names of the subjects and their levels.

16. I am loving Grunwald's Law - it does actually work! It is certainly a bizarre time to be in teaching, now that none of us know what we are doing or how we prove it. Then again, it's great that they are allowing us to use photos as evidence - it's so easy to position the children to match whatever outcome they are supposedly doing [​IMG]

17. Ah, but we did, catmother. I am so old I can remember Munn & Dunning and things like Assessment for All. It was Standard Grade in its embryonic stage. There were no textbooks, and we had to sit round in groups drafting syllabuses, materials and assessments. But at least we had a vague idea of what we were doing. Towards the late 80s, the SQA (or whatever they were then) released assessment exemplars. Now it's smoke and mirrors, of course, but in some ways things never really change ...