1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Course on PPA day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by baconbutty, Nov 15, 2011.

1. baconbutty

baconbutty New commenter

Is this reasonable? My head has actually told me that 'the afternoon option' for a training course is 'preferable' because it's my PPA time 'and so I won't have to cover you'. Twice. What should I say the inevitable third time?

2. baconbutty

baconbutty New commenter

Is this reasonable? My head has actually told me that 'the afternoon option' for a training course is 'preferable' because it's my PPA time 'and so I won't have to cover you'. Twice. What should I say the inevitable third time?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

You're lucky to be allowed to go on courses at all!

4. baconbutty

baconbutty New commenter

So your school doesn't believe in CPD beyond the school grounds? I'm so sorry for you. I feel rightly chastened. Sorry to have asked and made you feel so bad.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Does your PPA time synchronise with a planning partner? if it does this would strengthen any case you put for having your PPA maintained. Another option is to tell your head that you would rather have your PPA than go on a course.
    If you want to take the issue to its limit however: assuming your attendance on the course was the head's idea, your PPA can not be arbitrarily used for that purpose - that would be directing you and the head can not direct you in what to do during your PPA time. Your entitlement to PPA is absolute, it can not be 'traded' for PPA. If the head insists you go on the course you can insist on having your PPA at a different time, if push came to shove you would be in the right. You might try and argue for a meeting half way where some weeks you get PPA and other weeks you don't?
    Your head can fail to send you on courses if he so chooses but that would be depriving you of another entitlement and might even screw PM and/or his SEF priorities.
    This kind of thing should be covered in a policy agreed by the whole school.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You wait until you post that you are on a whole day course and get lunch and biscuits as well!!!

You are not supposed to lose your PPA to go on courses, it ought to be rearranged. But on the 'can't be bothered, satisfactory is good enough, love 100 framework lessons' teachers ever make a fuss about it in our school. And they do get it back, but...