1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Course full?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Bobdog, Mar 2, 2011.

1. In theory I have now filled my PGCE course. I have made offers of all the places that TDA have allocated. My problem is that I'm not entirely convinced that all the people I have made offers to will be able to afford to do the course with no bursary, and that once they sit down and work out the sums several might withdraw. But they might not do that until the last minute, leaving me with empty places. OK, so I'm setting up a 'waiting list' - but these people will need sufficient notice in order to arrange their own finances, resign from jobs etc ...
    Really does see the worst and most chaotic year since I've been running a PGCE course ... 8 years ... thanks Mr. Gove!

2. In theory I have now filled my PGCE course. I have made offers of all the places that TDA have allocated. My problem is that I'm not entirely convinced that all the people I have made offers to will be able to afford to do the course with no bursary, and that once they sit down and work out the sums several might withdraw. But they might not do that until the last minute, leaving me with empty places. OK, so I'm setting up a 'waiting list' - but these people will need sufficient notice in order to arrange their own finances, resign from jobs etc ...
    Really does see the worst and most chaotic year since I've been running a PGCE course ... 8 years ... thanks Mr. Gove!

3. What subject are you offering?
    The bursaries haven't been scrapped yet have they? How do you know the students will not be able to afford it?

4. Mrs TKO... For PGCE students starting in September 2011, only those doing certain subjects will get bursaries. Maths, Physics and Chemistry get £9k and Biology and MFL get £6k. All the other subjects get nothing unfortunately [​IMG]

5. Bursaries are scrapped (for 2011 entry) for all subjects except Maths, Science, MFL and Engineering. Primary bursaries are also scrapped.
    I don't <u>know</u> they won't be able to afford it, but I fear this will be the case in several instances, and we will lose some fantastic potential teachers as a result. Discussions with my current year group, who do have a bursary, suggest that many of them would not have been in a position to do the PGCE without it.

6. Gosh
    that is terrible, sounds like a real mess, I do not envy you. I do hope it gets better. Some of the students may take loans so not all of them will drop out
    Well I got the whole bursary thing all wrong then.I want to do a PGCE in D&T in September and I was under the impression I would still be able to get a bursary, and they would be scrapped in my subject in 2012 if they will no longer exist I may as well not go for my PGCE interview tomorrow.

7. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

Can you interview for a waiting list? That way you will have people who know they're in if others drop out and can be prepared for it

8. It does make me wonder why the courses with bursaries feel they can give £9000 when most of will now get nothing!! Even if they cut the old bursary in half so we get £2000 that would be a massive help. I am still taking up my PGCE offer as I have been working so hard to get to this stage and start my training!!! Bring it on!

9. Well i have had to pull out of my interview tomorrow. With no bursary at all, we would just not be able to survive I am a mature married woman with a 3 year old and we just could not afford it. If they had cut it by half that would have been ok but to completely scrap it, it just won't work for us.
    I am in floods of tears because i missed out last year and worked hard to get in this year, my fault for not reading the update for the bursaries sooner.
    I even tried OU but they are full until November and by then there wouldn't be a bursary available.
    Good luck you all that manage to complete the course

all the best

10. MrsTKO are you sure that you wouldn't be able to do it what with maintenance loans, maintenance grants, possible university bursary (normally if offered it's a small amount) and tuition fee loan? You as a student with a child would also get the childcare grant and "parental learning allowance" which adds greatly to the total amount.

I'm also a mature, married woman and I have a 20 month old and 9 month old. I'm in the third year of my degree, my husband is also a full time student and we have managed so far.

Have you looked at the student finance calculator to see what you're entitled to?

Kate x

11. Hi Kate
    I have looked at what we would be entitled to but the grant would not be enough and we really do not want to have a loan for such a high amount, especially with my husbands job not being secure.
    THe university is over 80 miles for me each way and I would have had to stay there for a few nights a week, or drive everyday so a lot of the bursary would have been used for that.
    Also I have read that I can't<font size="2" face="FrutigerLTStd-Black" color="#231f20"> </font><font size="2" face="FrutigerLTStd-Roman" color="#231f20"><font size="2" face="FrutigerLTStd-Roman" color="#231f20">claim a Childcare Grant for a period that is supported by a free early learning place.</font></font>
    I think I may look into the OU route

12. One thing you have to remember is that the decision about bursaries is not made by the course providers but by the government centrally. We have NO say in what the bursaries are and who gets them or not. The drastic cuts in numbers, golden hellos and bursaries came as a shock to us as providers and will have consequences for us (as the thread notes, offered places may now not be taken up). I suspect that some who have offers may just not trurn up at the start of the course and as a result we could be penalised for under-recruitment.
    James

13. So the golden hellos have been taken away also? Will the universities still be offering their own financial help to students? Or does that depend on the university

14. Oh yes don't worry I know it's nothing to do with the providers when it comes to funding!! And I really hope too many people don't give up on their place because of funding, I imagine, as I have, people have worked so hard to get a place and it would be a real shame if they can't go ahead with it!
    Sam

15. Reading my original post I didn't word it v.well at all!

16. I think there will be some too, like myself, who have been told they are unsuccessful after the budget announcements. Applications held up for months! And this was primary, not secondary. Also from the feedback it was not because of a lack of teaching ability or suitability for the profession. Surely the best decision in such circumstances is to free the applicant for their second choice? My second provider, like Bobdog, has filled their quota of offers despite wanting to interview me. While the GTTR says applicants for primary have two choices, this has simply not been true for me this year!

17. I really hope this does not happen!
    It is frustrating all round, my situation is I was sent a letter of intent for a course after the interview (but could not be sent a firm offer due to the delay in allocation of spaces) subsequently, the number of spaces on the course were cut from 16 to 11, and I did not make the final cut. (By this time the provider had hung onto my application with the hope of offering me a space, and my further 3 choices proceeded to fill up offering me no chance of getting onto a PGCE course this year)
    I have expressed that I wish to remain on the 'waiting list' for this course and am absolutely devastated with the situation.
    However, it is now difficult to plan this year i.e I am long overdue a holiday (do i go ahead and book) do I look for a new job? do I save every last penny, or enjoy this year?? Its tough as I really do not know what the chance is of getting onto the course this year (Which is really what I want) however I do not want to remain in my job, struggle saving every penny, and miss out on opportunities this year (i.e. I want to volunteer on a project in Brazil) because there is a slight chance I will get on the course.
    However, I know that if i was offered a space on the course, I would drop everything and accept!

18. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

Phone me if they dont turn up. I'll drop everything and be there the next day! :)

19. When did this happen?! Have I been too wrapped up in preparing for my PGCE interview that I did not even know about this?! I too may have to pull out. Recieved my letter on Monday and have been buzzing until now......absolutely gutted.