1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Courgettes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bnm, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bnm

bnm

Apologies if this has been covered before but I don't often wander over to cookery.
    For the first time we are growing a courgette plant. It's doing really well but I didn't realise how quickly a shop-sized courgette can turn into a marrow-sized courgette (about 2 days!). I am therefore, facing an extremely large courgette and a normal-sized courgette every weekend.
    Thus far I have made an enormous courgette lasagne (it's in the freezer and I hope this will be OK as the courgette turned into a sauce in the recipe) and a courgette, tomato and basil bake (took 2 days to eat but nice and tasty).
    What other interesting things can I turn courgettes into?

2. bnm

bnm

Apologies if this has been covered before but I don't often wander over to cookery.
    For the first time we are growing a courgette plant. It's doing really well but I didn't realise how quickly a shop-sized courgette can turn into a marrow-sized courgette (about 2 days!). I am therefore, facing an extremely large courgette and a normal-sized courgette every weekend.
    Thus far I have made an enormous courgette lasagne (it's in the freezer and I hope this will be OK as the courgette turned into a sauce in the recipe) and a courgette, tomato and basil bake (took 2 days to eat but nice and tasty).
    What other interesting things can I turn courgettes into?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Google courgette recipes.
    I'd pick the courgettes when they were nice and young.
    Don't forget that you can fritter the flowers!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Pickled courgettes, the Lebanese way.
    Courgette chutney
    Courgette cake or roulade
    Courgette spaghetti
    Large courgettes can be stuffed and baked
    Ratatouille
    Use overlapping slices instead of pasta in a lasagne
    Brain gone dead but will post more later.

5. bnm

bnm

Mr bnm did google but ended up with so many I thought tessers would be able to give quality, personal advice.
    I agree, we need to pick the courgettes young-but they grow soooooo fast!
    Didn't know you could fritter the flowers!

6. bnm

bnm

Thank-you, lapinrose. What would you stuff courgettes with? Could it be a spicy lamb mince type mix? Would you have a good recipe for somthing like that?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Favourite way with freshly picked courgettes is to simply slice them thinly (on a diagonal or even lengthways) and then fry them in olive oil - high heat at first to colour and then low heat to cook through - with plehty of salt and pepper, with a few ripped basil leaves thrown in at the end with a spritz of lemon juice. Stunning. I can eat platefuls of this on its own with nothing but a bit of crusty bread for the juices.
    Halve lengthways, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, season, anoint with oil and bake, covered with foil til just tender. Then stuff with a mixture of cooked basmati rice, allspice or ground cinnamon, spring onions, chopped mint or coriander, olive oil and raisins and bake uncovered. Serve with Greek yoghurt seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper, ex v olive oil, and more chopped mint or coriander.
    A stew of courgettes, garlic, onions, tomatoes and fresh basil.
    Cube and fry slowly with lots of olive oil, chopped garlic and onion until everything collapses into mush. Add loads of parmesan, some basil and a tiny squeeze of lemon juice and use this as a sauce/dressing for hot pasta.
    Boureki pie - a Cretan speciality of layered courgette, potato, garlic, fresh mint and cream, traditionally mixed and topped with two particular Cretan cheeses (mizithra and anthotiro) and baked - you could use any cheese you fancy but ricotta to mix and parmesan to top would be good alternatives.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Got a veggie stuffing above - if you want more specific recipe let me know!

9. bnm

bnm

Wow, nick. Those sounds lovely, thank-you. I especially like the sound of the stuffed courgette.

10. Favourite way with freshly picked courgettes is to simply slice them thinly (on a diagonal or even lengthways) and then fry them in olive oil - high heat at first to colour and then low heat to cook through - with plehty of salt and pepper, with a few ripped basil leaves thrown in at the end with a spritz of lemon juice. Stunning. I can eat platefuls of this on its own with nothing but a bit of crusty bread for the juices.
    I do something very similar adding onions and garlic to the courgettes. When cooked, add a squeeze of lemon juice and plenty of chopped parsley. Delicious - especially with crusty bread as nick said.

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

12. bnm

bnm

Thank-you so much, everyone.
    I knew I could depend on you.

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I love them as part of a veggy stir fry - peppers, mushrooms, courgettes all sliced and fried for about 10 mins then add grated carrot for 5 - always comes out lovely and sweet.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

They make excellent replacements for aubergine in mousaka provided you do your best to remove a lot of the moisture.
    I have a friend who refuses to eat courgetes full stop. I suspect he's always had them overcooked. There's a brilliant way of cooking them I learnt from a Food and Drink programme many years ago. Heat some olive oil in a saucepan until it really hot. Throw in sliced courgettes, about 1/2" pieces 12mm, put a lin on and toss them in the oil. Return to the heat and cook for 30 seconds. Now add a good squeeze of tomato puree, give the pan another good shake with the lid on and cook for another 30 seconds. So it's only a minute or so's cooking, but the pan must be blasting hot, and it's rather good.
    A previous wife of mine had a passion for marrow that I have to confess I didn't really enjoy, but she had a trick of making it palateable by spreading it with marmite, of all things. It wasn't as bad as it might sound. Worth a try, even on a piece to see if you like it.
    And I've had successs with courgette fritters as something you'd feed a jailed anmal or person on but're not actuallly that bad to eat if you coook them with love in your heart. By their bland nature, they can take shedloads of spice without complaining. Try it his Sunday, I dare you instead of Yorksire pud.

15. Mr Kinsa's courgette pickle. Contact Belle for recommendation! Will publish recipe if you would like.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Here it is!

COURGETTE PICKLE - makes 1 litre
    500g courgettes
    3 shallots, finely chopped2 tbsp non-iodised salt
    PICKLING LIQUID
    500ml cider vinegar140ml golden caster sugar1 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp mustard seeds1 tsp celery
    seeds1 tsp ground turmeric1/2
    dried chilli, crumbled - wimps version (He used a whole green chilli
    plus some dried and
    would use more next time)

1. Thinly
    slice courgettes. Put in a bowl with shallots and sprinkle the salt
    over. Cover with ice-cold water and stir to dissolve the salt. Leave
    for one hour. Then drain courgettes thoroughly and pat dry - important.
    Meanwhile put pickling ingredients into pan and bring to a simmer.
    Bubble for 3 mins making sure sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool until
    warm not hot. Add courgettes and stir.
    3. Scoop mixture into 2 x 500ml sterilised jars. Seal and leave in fridge for a few
    days.
    AWESOME!!!!!

17. Don't think this courgette pickle lasts a few days in Belle's fridge!!

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

[​IMG]
    They really are awesomely delish!
    I eat them with fish, ham, chicken, sausages (my fave!) and just straight from the jar!

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Try the kofta recipe but mix it with some cooked rice or cous-cous.