1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Couple considering relocating to Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by CameronRoss92, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Hello Everyone,

I am currently a Sport & Fitness Lecturer at a further education College based in the United Kingdom. I am writing to you to enquire about teaching positions in Singapore, as I have always had a strong desire to work in an International School. Currently I have been looking at various Physical Education teaching positions advertised on recruitment websites, however I feel I need Guidance in finding the right position for myself and my partner, who is a newly qualified Physiotherapist and has the ambition to relocate alongside me.

At present, I currently hold a Teaching Qualification in Further Education as well as a Batchelor of Education teaching degree in Physical Education. I also have experience of teaching English and most recently completed my 140-hour classroom based TEFL programme.

My partner has recently completed her BSc in Physiotherapy and currently works as a Physiotherapist for the National Health Service. Ideally I would like for my partner to have secured a position as a physiotherapist prior to us moving to Singapore. Any ideas on how/where to find healthcare vacancies in Singapore?

Ideally, I would like to find a teaching position commencing in August 2018, which would potentially offer an accommodation package or allowance, as having looked at the price to lease a property in Singapore it looks as if this would be a long way outside of our budget.

If you could assist us in getting this process underway that would be of great assistance to our ambitions.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Singapore is one of the more sought after locations and can be difficult to break into if you're new to international teaching. Not impossible, but difficult. Is there a reason you chose only Singapore? Have you thought of any other locations?

I'm not sure if anyone here can help much with advice for your partner.

International schools in Asia tend to offer accommodation allowance as part of the package or if not, the salary is sufficient that you can pay for accommodation from that.

If you've not signed up to Search yet I would suggest you do that. The recruitment season is now under way for August 2018. Keep an eye out for vacancies and just apply for any and all jobs that look appealing.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

When we were in Beijing, there were often positions for Western trained Speech, Occupational and Physical therapists through special needs schools and other organizations that catered to expats. In Singapore, language is obviously less of any issue but the situation appears to be similar. We can't name names but if you google Singapore and the Somewhere Over the (----- Centre) they are currently looking for Physiotherapists. That's just one example but if you search for Singapore, special education, physical therapy I'm sure you will find others.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Hi. While your partner may well secure a job in Singapore, they are more likely to do it when they are already here - networking and acquaintances work well here. This may take up to a year. It is much more likely for you to secure a position first, which leads me to another issue - you say 'partner', not 'spouse'. Getting a visa for a non-marital partner has become much more difficult, and partners are not allowed to work on these visas even when they do get them. A spouse can get a Dependants Pass, and is then eligible to work (through their employing company applying for a Letter of Consent).

Most of the international schools here provide a salary which is adequate to support two people. I'm happy to give more information through a conversation - feel free to start one with me.

5. VS400

VS400 New commenter

My friend was recently looking for a jobs as a physiotherapist in Singapore. She was offered $150 an hour from a clinic but they take a 50% cut and she had to find and bring in her own clients. That's all the info she gave me on it. This was for a private clinic. She also has worked for the military and the NHS.