1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Country Music

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_G_ICT, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

was listening to Reeba on BBC Breakfast this morning and think that country music gets a rough ride in the UK. I remember when i was in Canada i used to listen to country(mostly because it was pumped in my ears by the guys around me) and i learned to appreciate it. I also put on some Bob Harris on Radio 2, if he likes the stuff, must be good. I'm not talking about the 'old school' country, but the new stuff is relevant and some of it very fun.
    When i feel like listening to country now, i put a bit of Brad Paisley on as he's an awesome guitarist and makes some good music. I like a bit of chris leDoux too, when i'm feeling more traditional.
    Was wondering, what country artists do you listen to? would be good to add to my playlist.

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

When I moved to Scotland in the late 80s all you could get in the evenings on the radio was country music, and I developed an acute hatred of it then. It is not that it gets a rough ride in this country, its because it is ****.

5. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I love 'most' country music. I have lots of favourites Faith Hill & hubby (sudden senior moment), Leanne Rimes, Leanne Womack, Sugarland, Lonestar to name just a few.

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

7. Country music is all around us - dressed up as pop, so that haters don't realise what they're listening to.
    e.g. Lady Gaga "Edge of Glory" - put in some fiddles, a bit of pedal steel, a train-rhythm drum beat, and Bob's your uncle.
    I've played in country bands over the years, at C&W clubs. They're struggling now, I think, trapped in a 1970s timewarp. Now, I play solo gigs in pubs. All sorts of music, but country songs tend to go down well whatever the audience. I also countrify other songs and will be adding the Lady Gaga song above to my repertoire shortly.

8. Country music gets a bad press. Dylan's Blood on the Tracks album is pretty good and so is much of Bruce Springsteen's such as Nabraska or The Ghost of Tom Joad.
    Reeba has an amazing voice and I quite like Iris de Ment. It is a very broad church.

9. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

An abomination the only music in the world that I despise, have tried to appreciate many times and failed musicians of limited capabilities, lack of taste, cheesiness to an extraordinary level in lyric writing and if you you push me I could develop my theme to include line dancers x

10. I can forgive country music anything (well, apart from Taylor Swift) because of this song. :)

And the only music I really can't bear is experimental jazz.

11. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh Richie don't worry I hate jazz and folk and some blues stuff - we can't all like the same stuff! Who have you been listening to?
    I remembered from my earlier post who Faith Hill's husband is - Tim McGraw of course!!
    Anyway I could not believe I forgot to mention Garth Brooks and of course The Dixie Chicks.
    All of Taylor Swift's songs sound the same imo and I can't bear Nancy Griffiths high pitched whinning.

12. Gram Parsons was very good. A lot of modern rock bands hold him in great esteem.

13. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="background:white;" class="MsoNormalTable"><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;">

<font size="3">Country </font><a name="western">[/URL]Western Song Titles</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="MsoNormalTable"><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Get Your Biscuits In The Oven and Your Buns In Bed</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Get Your Tongue Out'a My Mouth Cause I'm Kissin' You Goodbye</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Her Teeth Was Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Can't Get Over You, So Why Don't You Get Under Me?</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Got In At 2 With a 10, and Woke Up At 10 With A 2</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except Mine</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Just Bought A Car From A Guy That Stole My Girl, But The Car Don't
    Run, So I Figure We Got An Even Deal</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Keep Forgettin', I Forgot About You</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Liked You Better Before I Knew You So Well</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Still Miss You Baby, But My Aims Gettin' Better</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Wouldn't Take Her To A Dog Fight, Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">I'll Marry You Tomorrow But Let's Honeymoon Tonight</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">I'm So Miserable Without You It's Like Having You Here</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">I've Got Tears In My Ears From Lying On My Back While I Cry Over You.</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You </font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To, I'd Be Out By Now</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Mama Get A Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend and I Sure Do Miss Him</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">Please Bypass This Heart</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">She Got The Ring and I Got the Finger</font></td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"></td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#f0f0f0;padding:0cm;"><font face="Times New Roman">You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

14. heh heh - love the last one on that list.

15. Actually, I'm laughing out loud at loads of them. Thanks for that.

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Essentialy
    words for C&W lyrics: dawg, shack, pick-up, honey, trail, trailer, heart, truck, and lurve. you cab write a whole song with them.
    More advanced? Bayou, tequila, dude, bar, cactus......

17. I regularly alternate between...

Iris Dement - most excellent to see somebody else namecheck her...
    Lucinda Williams
    Martha Wainright
    Kate McGarrigle
    Bob Dylan
    Johnny Cash
    Lambchop
    Wilco (pushing it a bit, but all the same...)
    Hank Williams
    Golden Smog
    Willie Nelson

And I'm FAR from over the hill!! I adore the genre.

Plus so many others, but those have been on most recently. Country music is better than most shyte peddled in this country (Coldplay et all, BOAK.....) and it is not the

18. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I have not heard of most these names but I will be finding out. Thanks.

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter