1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countries where your non-teaching spouse can work on their 'supported' visa

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by whereflowersgrow, Feb 20, 2018.

1. whereflowersgrow

whereflowersgrow New commenter

Just interested in collating some kind of list of countries where it is possible for one's 'trailing' (hopefully not kicking and screaming!) spouse to work on the 'spouse visa'.

....Anyone interested in inputting?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It's been possible in every country I lived in, but with so much "fine print" that a simple list might not give you what you need. So much depends on your spouse's qualifications and the salary expectations. For example, if a spouse is legally allowed to work, but their field is overflowing with candidates or if salaries are at 15% of what they are in the UK, would you want that country on your list? I wouldn't want to see people moving to "x" country just because it looks easy, but the fine print makes it untenable when they arrive.

migratingbird likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The only place I know first hand is Hong Kong, most other countries require a separate visa for the spouse to work. China and Gulf states I know require a separate visa for a spouse to work legally in the country.

4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

A trailing spouse can apply for jobs in Singapore. If offered, the company that has hired them applies for a 'Letter of Consent' which allows them to work on a Dependents Pass. As gulfgolf stated, this is dependent on the field of work, qualifications, and whether or not the company already has the allowed number of non-Singaporeans already working there. You can only have one 'Letter of Consent' so can not have multiple jobs (as an example, a teacher seeking supply work can only work at one school).

5. dave12hughes

dave12hughes New commenter

I'm teacing in the US, my wife is here on dependent visa and currently awaiting work authorisation. Dependents can't apply for work permit until physically in the country and can take up to 3 months to process. Let me know if you're interested or want more info. Would be happy to help!

6. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

Yes, in HK it is possible/easy.

7. busicoler

busicoler New commenter

And the UAE

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Saudi Arabia (in certain fields such as education)

9. Sandpit2014

Sandpit2014 New commenter

In the UAE, a wife can work on the husband's visa. The husband cannot work on the wife's visa; if a husband finds a job, his company has to sponsor him.