1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countries & nationalities - most boring topic ever?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, Mar 7, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Should have said - I have searched the resources section on here and on various other websites, but nearly everything out there seems to be either World Cup 2010-related or to do with researching different French-speaking countries, which I already intend to do in a few lessons when I've managed to book an IT room. For the next 3 lessons we're in our ordinary classroom, I'll be using one of these to prepare them for their research task but I still have to fill the other 2 lessons!

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Could you do something about stereotypes of different nationalities as something extra to do? Or do the lessons have to be purely language based?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Do a general knowledge quiz - match up the capitals, nationalities, typical foods, languages spoken, famous sportsmen, etc etc. If you have access to a computer suite, how about this: http://www.europe.learningtogether.net/ My Y9s loved it.

4. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Why not do something a bit different with this unit - intercultural understanding for intercultural understanding's sake. Use it as an opportunity to improve the students' knowledge of other countries and languages. Interesting point - are nationality words always the same as the language words for each country? If not, why not?
    [​IMG]