1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counting on from a number - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jennie1990, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi everyone.
    I am a student in my final year of practice teaching reception. Our objective when we go back after half termis to count on from a given number (counting on 1,2,3,4,5 more and recording).
    I am really struggling to think of any whole class activities. I have plenty for combinging two sets of objects (counting 3 bananas and adding 2 more - how many altogether etc) but I want them to count on from a numeral.
    So far I have for example, 5 apples (cover over and place numeral 5 on top) now showing 3 more - how many all together? But that's the only activity I can think of that fulfils the objctive. If any of you wise and amazing teachers have any ideas for teaching this concept I would love to hear them, I'm panicing now AHH!!!
    Thank you!!

2. Hi everyone.
    I am a student in my final year of practice teaching reception. Our objective when we go back after half termis to count on from a given number (counting on 1,2,3,4,5 more and recording).
    I am really struggling to think of any whole class activities. I have plenty for combinging two sets of objects (counting 3 bananas and adding 2 more - how many altogether etc) but I want them to count on from a numeral.
    So far I have for example, 5 apples (cover over and place numeral 5 on top) now showing 3 more - how many all together? But that's the only activity I can think of that fulfils the objctive. If any of you wise and amazing teachers have any ideas for teaching this concept I would love to hear them, I'm panicing now AHH!!!
    Thank you!!

3. HI,
    have you tried a large number line on the floor, even some A4 laminated numbers in a line would do. Children like to do 'frog jumps' . it encourages them to look at the number they are standing on and then jump on from it. I use it in Y1 all of the time.

4. Thank you so much for your reply! I have planned to use that on Monday (sorry should have mentioned that) and the covering objects visual for the next day but have 3 more inputs :/

5. count a number of objects into a box, bag or tin. Keep the number in our heads, or in a tin it can be labelled with a magnetic number. Now we're going to add eg. 3 more. Ask again how many are in the box/bag/tin, now count on 3 more.
    Use two dice to add up. one with numerals, to roll first and the second woth spots. These can be used to play a bingo game with the whole class. Large dice are obviously better.
    I've also used tallying to help children add by counting on. Write a number on the whiteboard, and children do the same on smaller whiteboards. Now we're going to add 3 more, get children to draw three tally marks then starting at the number written,count on with the tally marks to find the total.
    A good mental/oral activity is to use a hundred square and ask children to count on from numbers you indicate on the square, beginning small but moving to larger numbers as appropriate for that class.

6. Hi, All of the above are bankers + in circle time if you start the children counting aloud going round the circle then stop ...what number will ***** be? carry on counting to see if they are right. Keep starting counting in a different place throughout game. In a focus group/1-1 I did the easter bunny (hand puppet) picking up easter eggs (small plastic ones) that the children hadn't found and putting them in her basket. She found 1, and then she found 1 more, (holding in her paws and laying across the basket so children cant see) how many are in her basket altogether? ...and then she found 1 more...how many in her basket altogether now? (same hiding thing) Keep going (I did to 5 with nursery children and counted regularly with those who needed to confirm counts.) you can then extend to i less (bunny is hungry and takes 1 egg out to eat) how many are in the basket. That sort of thing....any game or link to a story that you can generate will be good. Don't panic!!! eve

7. These are brill thanks guys. I am finding that I am spending most of my planning time thinking HOW to teach concepts. My mentor is great but I don't want to be going to her to ask things too much.
    I love the white board tallying - they can all be involved then too :)

8. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I play a game called 'my turn your turn' with the whole class - dead simple!
    I point to myself whilst counting up, then i stop and point to the class and they have to carry on the count.