1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counting on from a given number

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Jennie1990, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi everyone.
    I am a student in my final year of practice teaching reception. Our objective when we go back after half termis to count on from a given number (counting on 1,2,3,4,5 more and recording).
    I am really struggling to think of any whole class activities. I have plenty for combinging two sets of objects (counting 3 bananas and adding 2 more - how many altogether etc) but I want them to count on from a numeral.
    So far I have for example, 5 apples (cover over and place numeral 5 on top) now showing 3 more - how many all together? But that's the only activity I can think of that fulfils the objctive. If any of you wise and amazing teachers have any ideas for teaching this concept I would love to hear them, I'm panicing now AHH!!!
    Thank you!!

2. Hi everyone.
    I am a student in my final year of practice teaching reception. Our objective when we go back after half termis to count on from a given number (counting on 1,2,3,4,5 more and recording).
    I am really struggling to think of any whole class activities. I have plenty for combinging two sets of objects (counting 3 bananas and adding 2 more - how many altogether etc) but I want them to count on from a numeral.
    So far I have for example, 5 apples (cover over and place numeral 5 on top) now showing 3 more - how many all together? But that's the only activity I can think of that fulfils the objctive. If any of you wise and amazing teachers have any ideas for teaching this concept I would love to hear them, I'm panicing now AHH!!!
    Thank you!!

3. Well I'm not going to pretend to be wise and/or amazing but I did see an activity being done in Year 1 that might work for this.
    Using some kind of metal tin/box, show children a number of marbles and then pour them into the tin. Label it using a post it note with the correct number. Then start to drop additional marbles, one at a time, into the tin and get the children to 'count on' to say how many marbles are now in the tin (it makes a great noise and the children aren't actually counting the objects because they can't see them inside the tin). You can eventually get them to count on silently in their heads while you drop the marbles in and then they can write how many are in the tin on wbds (therefore recording as well).
    Hope this helps...