1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counting/Number activities for Year 2 P Scales

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sgnqt17, Jan 5, 2019.

1. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Hi

I’m a TA working in year 2 and have two children who are working on p scales (P4-P8). I am still doing lots of work with them on number recognition on numbers to 20, one to one counting, ordering numbers, one more/less and have before Christmas began simple addition within 10. Unfortunately in year 2 we don’t have many ‘early years’ resources for the children to do lots of practical learning.

We have access to cubes, counters, Lego, counting dinosaurs/bugs, dice, threading, number cards to order, collage materials (paper, paint etc.)

Any ideas of some practical ways for the children to practice counting skills with the limited resources we have? We’ve used lots of resources off a teaching resource website as well as TES.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. cazone

cazone New commenter

Could you use practical items within class? Counting students, books, tables? Expand to whole school counting - benches in playground, classroom doors along a corridor?

I realise these may not be practical it’s something I use with my SEN students. We also have snack so they count students and put out drinks/biscuits etc.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I came across these resources the other day and think they would be perfect. The snack activity ideas are great and there are other practical ideas which would be great for these children - from the East Midlands West maths hub http://www.emwest.co.uk/eyfs-resources