1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

counting in tens mental maths acitivities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cha1k, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I'm looking for interesting ways for my Year 2 class to practice counting in tens from any one/two-digit number. At the mo we are just rolling dice to give a start number and counting around the class, this is getting a little dull to say the least [​IMG] I've got a maths lesson observation coming up based on this skill and want to do a fun counting in tens mental starter.

Any ideas???

Thanks

2. Hello all,

I'm looking for interesting ways for my Year 2 class to practice counting in tens from any one/two-digit number. At the mo we are just rolling dice to give a start number and counting around the class, this is getting a little dull to say the least [​IMG] I've got a maths lesson observation coming up based on this skill and want to do a fun counting in tens mental starter.

Any ideas???

Thanks

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Perhaps you could think of a context for the counting ... such as money. Starting from a given (or generated) amount and then using resources to add or subtract 10ps. You could keep a record of the numbers as they count and then discuss what changes and what stays the same and why.
    Another idea is to use a target board with a selection of numbers. Children work in pairs to select a number and add/subtract 10 and record the matching number sentence. You could then ask pairs to feed back their answer and the other children have to work out which number they started with.
    Have resources available to model adding 10 more or 10 less ... Numicon, base 10, bundles of straws or coins work well for this.
    Hope that helps,
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. Thank you very much to you both. Great ideas to get me started x

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

7. I like the clapping game.

Start to count in tens... but miss one or two... clap for each number you miss. Then all have to be counting in tens in their heads as you clap. And join in on the ones you don't clap.

Sorry haven't explained it too well!