1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counting in 2's ideas- please help!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hbill, Jun 16, 2011.

1. My class thoroughly enjoyed making necklaces or snakes by threading items in 2's. It made a lovely display too!

2. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

What sort of interesting activities? Introducing the concept or practising?
    To introduce the concept you can look at eyes, hands, feet, shoes ... as people we have lots of things that come in pairs. Shoes are good because the person doesn't need to stay with the shoes. Ask a child to come to the front/stand up/ sit in the circle but with their feet sticking inwards. Talk about how many shoes there are, count them 1,2. There are 2 shoes. Then ask another child to add their shoes. count again 1,2,3,4 There were 2 now there are 4. continue. Practise counting saying the odd numbers quietly and the even numbers loudly. Extend so that you just mouth the odd numbers then say the even numbers. Next just say mm for the odds (as you might when singing heads, shoulders, knees and toes and not saying parts of the body). I wouldn't do all of this in one lesson but build up in short chunks over a week or so - depending on your children.
    My Reception - Yr 2 class spend 2 minutes counting every day including in 1s, 2,s 5s, 10s, 100s, 1000s, and millions. The littlies join in with all of the counting because they like the rhymr and action ... I wouldn't say that they necessarily understand the concepts but never under-estimate the benefits of solid repetition!
    Enjoy.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We introduced it with the Noah's Ark - counting each animal, then whispering the first of each pair and shouting out the second of each pair, then counting the animals in 2s - moving a pair at a time as we counted.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

There are lots of maths tube videos on youtube that my children really enjoy - they're good for re-enforcement. They're particularly keen on Harry Kindergarten's videos.

5. we made paper chains in colour blocks of two's.