1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counting holidays as 13 weeks after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by estherkatie, Aug 14, 2015.

1. I am a primary school teacher at an academy and am currently on maternity leave, being paid OMP. I would like to leave teaching to become a stay-at-home-mum but can't afford to pay my maternity leave money back, so I am planning on returning to work for just 13 weeks. My question is: can I return in the last half of the summer term, working for 7 weeks, and then count the 6 week summer holiday as part of my 13 weeks, even if I don't go back to work after the summer? Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Yes: return on the first day of the summer half-term break, and you should be able to get the 13 weeks in (but count carefully). You'll need to put your resignation in by 31st May, of course (and you may want to that sooner, to give the school more notice). If your year isn't up, your partner may be able to take paternity leave for some of the half-term you are working.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can state any date as your date of return.

The holiday periods do indeed count towards the minimum 13 weeks return period.

The usual resignation dates and exit dates apply.