1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

counting back - year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by haroon1234, Nov 27, 2011.

1. H, I'm an NQT in year 1. I've noticed that a lot of my children are struggling with counting back and so I am getting them to count back using our class number line. This week in my MOS I will be doing lots of counting back from different numbers with the children. I was wondering, does anybody have any brilliant ideas for teaching counting back. Over time, I want the children to ease of using the number line as support, how have you expereienced teachers achieved this in the past.

I look forward to hearing your replies.

Thank you.

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hi,
    Here are some ideas and challenges:
    • Whilst they may have learnt the sequence of numbers when counting forwards, they do not necessarily understand the additive structure of the number system and might not realise they are adding 1 when counting forwards or subtracting 1 when counting back.
    • Before using a numberline, children need to count forwards and back in a context such as adding one more and taking one object away from a group. Quite often children will need to do a count forwards in order to work out what number is next when counting back.
    • They may struggle with language around before and after. Which number comes before/after? Can be confusing when the sequence changes direction.
    • Have you every tried reciting a nursery rhyme backwards? Really hard! However counting back is no more dificult than counting forwards ... it's just that they both need to be practised.
    • Little bursts of backwards counting works well. Aim to increase the count in small stages.
    • Use lots of counting rhymes and songs that count backwards and get children to join in with actions
    here is a link to a previous thread with loads of ideas https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/103328/2748556.aspx
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. Incorporate it into classroom routine eg counting down until they need to be tidied up/ready on the carpet...counting down from the amount of children here to 0 when they are lining up to check everyone is there, etc.