1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counter Width.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

What would you suggest is the absolute minimum width of a counter at an establishment where you are involved in face-to-face business re making a payment or making an order etc?

I await your replies before I comment further but, if I do comment on my recent experiences I will be using words like 'idiots', 'men', 'stupid', 'selfish' (not 'shellfish'), 'ignorant', 'f-wits' and 'design'. This pertaining to my recent meltdown and need to find another dentist.

2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

36" ('cos I'm old fashioned!! :) )

5. Jude Fawley

I'm afraid neither of your answers satisfies me. A counter should be a minimum of twenty four inches wide. Anything less is an indication of the lack of quality of the establishment and I'd strongly advise people to take their custom elsewhere.

50 cm is alright but still inadequate.

My dentist has had their reception area redesigned and it must have been designed by a man because the counter is now around 10 cm wide. It's absolutely ridiculous. I had to tell them that they are completely forgetting the customer and this is bad practice and will lead to them losing business.

I'm thinking of going elsewhere. Somewhere with a wider counter.

Imagine I'm a busy mother with children and I want to put my handbag on the counter while I get my purse out and use my debit card to pay!

As it is with many establishments, you'd struggle to put a cup on the counter.

What a planet!

Scintillant likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Thirty five and seven sixteenths inches.

7. Jude Fawley

Sorry, it's not the planet. It's the species. There's something seriously wrong with it. It's the very worst of what Darwin drew our attention to.

8. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Use apple pay?

9. Jude Fawley

You levity goes no way towards decreasing my anxiety.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Insufficient room to complete form HC5 (NHS Claim for a refund of dental costs which, being A4 size, requires at least 30cm). :(

11. Jude Fawley

Anyway, I'm not happy about this counter width thing and I've already had a sleepless night over thinking about it.

We are doomed as a species. And the sooner the better!

I'll need to direct my attention elsewhere until I interface with the next stupid selfish action carried out by error-driven people and designed to frustrate my progress.

But why such narrow counters? Why?

Why would they do that?

It's beyond me.

12. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

If I had a business I would have a 10cm counter. I would have to bare their ridiculousness of customers like the OP once and then peace would descend.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Jude Fawley

That must be it. Thank you. I'm going to ask them that when I go back. These days I pay the fee. Yesterday I paid for a check up and for band 2 work to be carried out on 9th July.

I have to wait over a month because they're very busy.

But just wait until people get wise about that counter and, if it is form HC5 I sincerely hope the whole dental enterprise comes crashing down.

It makes me so mad.

But I must stop thinking about it.

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It should be a width greater than the length of a sword on the end of an extended arm.

Customers can get so stroppy these days it's as well not to take chances.

colpee, tsarina, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  15. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Depends on the hygiene level of the person serving you.

colpee and sabrinakat like this.
  16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

First world problem...;)

colpee and nomad like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'll bet there is a post on a dentist's forum somewhere ranting about patients with counter-width anger.

colpee, racroesus, kibosh and 3 others like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's a pretty watery analogy, given that they manage just fine at the counter at WH Smiths which, no matter how wide, always maintains an 82% occupancy of Orange Aero bars.

19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Proof the "idiots have taken over the asylum".*

*Note that this is put in quotation marks, as I guess two of those words are triggers for the PC police nowadays. What a world!

nizebaby likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder whether trick cyclists have some sort of scale they measure anger levels on, which has a level named counter-width?

colpee, kibosh and nizebaby like this.